1 week old chicks eating pine bedding

Veiji

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
Sturgis, Michigan, USA
So we have a mixed flock of 1-2 week old chicks. Some are ingesting the pine bedding we just put in. (Theyre in a pack n play so sand was out of the question).

Are we able to give them grit at 1 week old? If so, a couple table spoons in their food so they don't over eat?

I need advice please and thanks in advance!

I keep my chicks on layers of paper towels for the first 1-3 weeks, until they learn to reliably eat their food. I do “top dress” their food with grit sized for chicks. I’ll sprinkle on the grit as though I was salting food. Not too much!
We only switched today because they were tearing up the paper towels and eating it 😫 We bought grit today only to see instructions say not till theyre 3 weeks old. So its fine to give them maybe a tablespoon mixed in with their food? There are 19 babies with a 1 QT feeder

We only switched today because they were tearing up the paper towels and eating it 😫 We bought grit today only to see instructions say not till theyre 3 weeks old. So its fine to give them maybe a tablespoon mixed in with their food? There are 19 babies with a 1 QT feeder
Yup, it’s fine to give them grit now. Just make sure the grain is not too large (look for chick grit).

Honestly I’ve only ever used pine shavings with mine from day 1. I’ve never offered grit. Yes sometimes they sample a small piece of the pine but I’ve never had any problems from it. Maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Back
Top Bottom