1 week old chicks heating

To me the perfect brooder is one that has a warm enough spot in the coolest of temperatures and a cool enough spot in the warmest temperatures.

Following this advice has given me two splendidly-healthy batches of chicks.

I will note that you've got to watch their feathering. I have two male Langshans who were still almost entirely downy when all the others had their feathers at 4 weeks. I'd have turned off all the heat at least a week earlier this time if not for those two.

i use a space about the size of a horse stall will the heater in the middle adjusted to the height of the chick's backs when they are standing. they can come and go and i move it up one a week until they have their feathers. the one thing i wouldn't use is those red colored heat light bulbs.

i use a space about the size of a horse stall will the heater in the middle adjusted to the height of the chick's backs when they are standing. they can come and go and i move it up one a week until they have their feathers. the one thing i wouldn't use is those red colored heat light bulbs.
unless you have so few chicks...otherwise...they are a hassle

in my opinion..

...plus...if the bulb goes out during colder weather during the night...the chicks don't do well. i had a bulb go out. fortunately it was prob around 4-6 am and i caught it soon enough
light bulb doesn't matter if you lose 6, $2 chickens...it does matter if you lose 100, $8 chickens. don't trust bulbs if you have a bunch of birds or "expensive" chickens...

light bulb doesn't matter if you lose 6, $2 chickens...it does matter if you lose 100, $8 chickens. don't trust bulbs if you have a bunch of birds or "expensive" chickens...

I have read it recommended that if you have the space you should operate two lamps at the same time so that if one goes out there is still heat.

I use the red bulbs when I'm dealing with shipped chicks or store bought ones, and my heater if I'm dealing with incubator hatched ones (if it is warm enough to not cause problems with it.)

My bulbs work just fine with mutts or fragile, rare breeds.

We used a white bulb during the day and a red one at night. They settled down very quickly, made sleepy noises and went quickly to sleep under the red bulb.

Back
Top Bottom