1 week old chicks keep chirping and itching

Stephanield95

Hatching
Feb 17, 2023
Hey guys! Wondering if I’m overthinking things or if I need to get some medicine for my chicks. I have 1 week old chicks who have been chirping pretty loudly, like the kind of chirping that sounds like something’s wrong. I also just noticed that one of my chicks looks lethargic? Other symptoms have been itching, this is my 2nd time raising chicks and I don’t remember my first batch itching this much. I also saw what looks like them eating stuff off each other here and there. Like I said, I could be overthinking but it’s just the combination of all these symptoms at once that freaks me out a bit. I’ll keep an eye on the lethargic one but I thought I would get on here incase anyone is available to give me some pointers or just comfort 🥲

Attachments

• IMG_9646.jpeg
    IMG_9646.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 48
I've never examined chicks for mites or lice but that would be my immediate concern. There's dust and sprays for treatment if you find an external parasite. Post pictures of your findings here and someone can tell you the best options.

If it is an external parasite, don't delay getting a product to treat. Chicks can get anemic and go down fast.

What are you using for bedding in the brooder?

Can you send some pics of the brooder set up and the chicks?
Following because I hve a similar issue. Can pine bedding cause itching? My 5 day old chicks are itching so bad they are getting red spots.

Back
Top Bottom