1 week old chicks want to add another...

Kacey's Krazee's

Songster
Aug 8, 2009
Normangee, Texas
I have 8 , 1 week old chicks I recieved from the feed store. They ordered new chicks and I was able to order 7 pullets and 1 'roo chick. Well, when they arrived, the feed store guy never ordered any roo's. So, since I am somewhat limited in brooding space, and raising young chicks to intergration age with the older hens, I am going to go and buy a roo chick. I have read about integration with older birds and younger, smaller birds. I am asking, is there going to be a problem at this age, to add the new chick?
I have found one that is very close in age to the ones I have. How should/need to do to keep them from hurting each other?
Thank you so much for your input!!

edited to clarify

Last edited:

Backyard Hencam

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
You can integrate chicks pretty easily up to about two weeks. Then there is a real difference in size. Just keep a close eye on them when you first integrate. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

linben

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Austin, TX
I mixed two sets of chicks at about a week but I kept the two new ones in their own box for a couple of days first to let them get really strong and be able to eat/drink easily. I had two though not just one.

Top Bottom