1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 week old chicks want to add another...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kacey's Krazee's, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I have 8 , 1 week old chicks I recieved from the feed store. They ordered new chicks and I was able to order 7 pullets and 1 'roo chick. Well, when they arrived, the feed store guy never ordered any roo's. So, since I am somewhat limited in brooding space, and raising young chicks to intergration age with the older hens, I am going to go and buy a roo chick. I have read about integration with older birds and younger, smaller birds. I am asking, is there going to be a problem at this age, to add the new chick?
    I have found one that is very close in age to the ones I have. How should/need to do to keep them from hurting each other?
    Thank you so much for your input!!

edited to clarify

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

You can integrate chicks pretty easily up to about two weeks. Then there is a real difference in size. Just keep a close eye on them when you first integrate. Good luck![​IMG]

3. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I mixed two sets of chicks at about a week but I kept the two new ones in their own box for a couple of days first to let them get really strong and be able to eat/drink easily. I had two though not just one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by