1 week old chicks with marble sized crops

PAChickenChick

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Ok...I don't know if this is an emergency or not...so I'm asking you folks who are smarter than me.

I have two ... one week old Barred Rocks. They are ONLY eating medicated chick feed right now.

Today (I've had them for 4 days) I noticed that their crops are about the size of a standard marble. (and strangely off to the right side)

I have them in Pine Shavings for bedding but they don't seem to be interested in eating it (atleast that I see)

I've not given them any kind of grit as of yet...but I'm concerned if this size crop is normal when only eating crumbles?

Advice on that and what I should do would be terrific.....

Thanks so much!

They have made little pigs of themselves. They are fine, it is completely normal. With crops that full they will probably pile up for a nap.

You can check later and it should be a different size.

Matt

Am also raising 6 Barred Rock Chicks that are now 5 weeks. Their first couple of weeks were identical to your situation. They are little nibble-machines! Mine also had nice full little crops, but all was well. Keep an eye on them and good luck.
smile.png
D.gif

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate to panic but I've got two little kids that are getting very attached and I immediately thought the worst.

I gotta say...I really love this forum! I wish there was a place like this that specialized in children
smile.png

Could you imagine having a guide like BYC's for your kids....that would be awesome!!

But in the meantime....I'll happily and gratefully accept all the helpful knowledge I get here about Chickens
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom