1 week old disabled chick.

NCchickmom

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
I am new with chickens. I got my first 6 for Valentines Day and i love them. Today I rescued a baby BSL. The feed store had it seperated from the others in a box and were going to let it die because they said it was sick so i asked them if i could have it. Upon further inspection when I got home the chick seems more disabled than sick. Its right eye appears to never had developed or was injured. It has trouble holding its right wing in and has trouble standing. When it tries to stand it falls over to the right so it doesnt move around much. It also will not eat or drink on its own. I followed some feeding and drinking advice that I found on other forums. I do have to open its beak and put food in its mouth. I feel so bad for this baby. Is there any advice on what I should do or what could be wrong? Is it sick or is its feeding issues related to its disability?

Maybe I am wrong or a jerk or something, but I don't think you are doing that chick any favors by keeping it alive. In fact, I think the store should have culled it instead of letting it suffer and die on its own. Sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do as much as you don't want to.

Back
Top Bottom