1 week old lethargic Rhode Island Red chick maybe vent gleet? maybe sour crop?

Shehoward

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2023
New chicken mom!
I have 4 baby chicks(we got them Tuesday from tractor supply) that have all been eating Purina medicated starter crumble, chick grit with probiotics, and drinking water with Chicken-Elixir probiotics/electrolytes/vitamins. They have all been super active and appeared healthy until today. If there is a way I can treat her at home I'd prefer that especially since the weekend is now starting.

Today 1 chick is Lethargic, not eating, and not drinking, runny all white poop... she hasn't ate anything since this morning but the crop is still puffed and is kinda squishy feeling. I've also noticed that this 1 chick has woken up the last couple mornings with a tiny bit of poop stuck on her butt... which I have cleaned with warm water as gentle as I could and kept everything but her butt dry. The rest of the day though her poops don't seem to get stuck to her butt(only seems to happen in the morning/at night while they are sleeping). Her vent looks kinda red and irritated.
She has been standing in random places in the brooder falling asleep standing up... after I moved her under their heating plate she stayed there until I got her out to try to give her drops of honey/ACV water and a little bit of raw egg yolk(things I saw on Youtube for lethargic chicks) which she did take but she still wont eat any crumbles or grit or water on her own, still sleepy. I have also massaged her crop a little bit just in case.

One thing that changed between yesterday and today is that I switched from paper towels as bedding in their brooder to small pine shavings. Concerned maybe she ate some?

Last edited:
Images for reference.

Attachments

• 20230224_154431.jpg
    20230224_154431.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230224_154443.jpg
    20230224_154443.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230224_161037.jpg
    20230224_161037.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230223_221142.jpg
    20230223_221142.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi there!
Does she have plain water too? Is she gorging the grit? Water with a bit of honey and egg yolk is great but the acv won't help here.
How warm is your brooder?
I didn't put out a separate thing of plain water... I can do that though. She did just start drinking out of the regular waterer with the chicken Elixir stuff in it with the other chicks so it looks like she's making a tiny bit of progress there. Still didn't eat anything though.

I don't know what "gorging the grit" means... so I'm not sure. But she's not actively seeking out grit or anything. I just have a little bit sprinkled into their crumbles.

I have a K&H thermo-poultry brooder heat plate thing. I just realized I don't see anywhere on the box or Amazon listing what temp its supposed to be... but most of the comments on the listing are saying it gets to be about 75 - 80 degrees. I don't have a thermometer thing to see what it actually is putting out tho.
Honestly I chose this one because so many people gave it 5star reviews... I assumed it would be at 95. This might be part of the problem... 🤔

I have a separate heater in the room they are in going at 75degrees and the room itself feels super warm(I'm in Michigan and the rest of the house varies between 65-70 depending on time of day).

I didn't put out a separate thing of plain water... I can do that though. She did just start drinking out of the regular waterer with the chicken Elixir stuff in it with the other chicks so it looks like she's making a tiny bit of progress there. Still didn't eat anything though.

I don't know what "gorging the grit" means... so I'm not sure. But she's not actively seeking out grit or anything. I just have a little bit sprinkled into their crumbles.

I have a K&H thermo-poultry brooder heat plate thing. I just realized I don't see anywhere on the box or Amazon listing what temp its supposed to be... but most of the comments on the listing are saying it gets to be about 75 - 80 degrees. I don't have a thermometer thing to see what it actually is putting out tho.
Honestly I chose this one because so many people gave it 5star reviews... I assumed it would be at 95. This might be part of the problem... 🤔

I have a separate heater in the room they are in going at 75degrees and the room itself feels super warm(I'm in Michigan and the rest of the house varies between 65-70 depending on time of day).
She could be too hot if there's no way to tell temperature. 80-85 is a good temperature for her.

I would begin trying to get her to drink sips of water by dipping her beak for a second, letting her swallow, as often as possible. Stop the ACV. Something like Poultry NutriDrench 2 drops daily would give her an instant boost. Make sure the vent opening is clear, and you can apply a small dab of vaseline or olive oil in the vent opening with a q-tip. I hope she survives.

She took a massive poop and immediately started running around with the other chicks and I just caught her eating some crumbles. I think she's gunna be okay. Gunna watch her super closely though.

We tried starting with the K & H pad, but we needed the heat lamp for the the first 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom