1 year old chicken lays 1 egg a week?

Rose the Legbar

Songster
Dec 18, 2022
Washington State
Hello! I am a newer chicken mom and my girls have turned a year old a week ago! I have a Opal Legbar named Astrid and she never really laid big, and/or good (smelling or looking) eggs. Her first ten or so eggs smelled rotten and the whites of the egg were yellowed, it was just horrible. Then her sister started laying eggs as well and they were fine. Astrid then also laid only once a week then too. It then came winter and everyone stopped laying eggs and molted, normal, but while my Wyandottes started laying eggs almost exactly 3 months after they stopped. However, it took Astrid more than 4 months to then start laying again.
I’ve been (trying) to keep track of her egg laying habits so far and it has been one egg a week. I cracked open the egg and the whites were normal but the yolk looked marbled, there was lighter and darker swirls in the yolk. I sadly didn’t get a photo. And all the eggs (so far) haven’t been in the nest box. One was in the run and the other on the floor of the coop. It’s weird because she knows where the nestbox is as she sits on the Wyandotte‘s eggs when they are in there. She is also growing spurs which I find odd.

Photos of Astrid. I would get new photos but it is raining and they are all quite soggy.

The second photo shows the spur on the right leg better, that thing is pretty big

Attachments

• B63F76A1-0020-4956-9B3F-FF02F2817E70.jpeg
    B63F76A1-0020-4956-9B3F-FF02F2817E70.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 100B31CC-977B-4F5F-9242-012676D45CBB.jpeg
    100B31CC-977B-4F5F-9242-012676D45CBB.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 10
A lot of hens have spurs, especially Mediterranean based breeds, I have 2 hens that have spurs.
It sounds like she has a reproductive abnormalitiy, I don't know if it can be fixed.
Thank you for responding! And I was leaning towards that being the case but wanted to get other people’s opinions on the matter.

I cracked open the egg and the whites were normal but the yolk looked marbled, there was lighter and darker swirls in the yolk.
A pic would help, next time you get one.

I have a couple hens that lay mottled yolks, doesn't really matter as I scramble most my eggs.
Birds seem fine, so I don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom