1 year old hen stopped laying over 2 months

If her eggs are odd that could be why she lays so irregularly, she's probably having trouble passing them. Are the shells soft aswell? Is she happy and healthy otherwise? If her shells are soft I would definitely try to get her to take more calcium. If she doesn't like the shell grit, you could try crushed egg shells, or try mixing it in with something she likes. Otherwise I've heard some people put a calcium supplement in the water, but you will have to be careful that your rooster doesn't drink it.

she once laid a soft shell egg, but only once. My husband does not like that idea of eggshells, i might have a look of calcium supplement in the water. thanks for the advice.

I'm interested as my Wyandottes (2 years old) haven't laid in over a week now. It's late spring/early summer here in Texas so they should be laying prolifically. One of them didn't molt last fall and it looks like she might be starting to molt now (weird) but the other did molt in the fall. They're both eating and acting normal, otherwise. Any suggestions/ideas?

she once laid a soft shell egg, but only once. My husband does not like that idea of eggshells, i might have a look of calcium supplement in the water. thanks for the advice.

If the shells aren't soft I'm not sure the calcium will make much difference. It's most likely just the shape of the eggs that's making it difficult for her to lay properly. If she is definitely not ill, then it could be a proplem with her shell gland and I don't think there is anything you can do about it. Just keep a close eye on her as it coukd cause egg binding if she's having trouble passing the eggs. Could you post a picture of her eggs?

I'm interested as my Wyandottes (2 years old) haven't laid in over a week now. It's late spring/early summer here in Texas so they should be laying prolifically. One of them didn't molt last fall and it looks like she might be starting to molt now (weird) but the other did molt in the fall. They're both eating and acting normal, otherwise. Any suggestions/ideas?[/

What is your weather like at the moment? If it's too hot that can also impact egg laying.

Well, they are laying now, though not as much as expected. The weather is even hotter now than it was when I first posted this.

Back
Top Bottom