1 year old hen suddenly sleeping a lot. Help!

Allegra17

Chirping
Mar 18, 2022
My gut is saying something is wrong with one of my hens. I have 3 and they are usually out in the yard eating or grooming themselves. The last few days, one of my hens has been particularly sleepy. She has also been “yawning” a bit - i notice it if I’m staring at her for long periods of time. It doesn’t seem like she’s gasping for air though. She will come out of the coop each morning with the other gals and get up and walk around and eat but I find her standing under one of our tables sleeping with her head behind her wing a lot, which is very unusual for her. I have seen her poop and it looked normal. She is eating from my hand when I feed and she will occasionally run and jump but I can’t shake the feeling something is wrong since she isn’t nearly as active as she usually is.

I can’t see any physical signs of any issues and my other hens are acting normal. The only thing that has been slightly off is that she stands on one foot more than usual. However, she will switch off which foot she stands on so it doesn’t seem like one of them is injured and I have inspected them both with no unusual findings, plus she is able to walk and run normally.

She laid an egg like 2 days ago so I don’t think anything with the egg is unusual. My hens have been laying a little sporadically the last few months so I didn’t think anything of this.

Any idea of what’s going on or what I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_4343.jpeg
    IMG_4343.jpeg
    616.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4361.jpeg
    IMG_4361.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Look in her ears for infection and in her mouth for any growths. Make her up some electrolyte water for an energy boost. Here's a recipe-
1 Cup Water
2 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda

Also put a little ACV in her water. That'll improve her appetite and help her all around. Plain yogurt is also good to give as it is a probiotic and will help strengthen her immune. Scrambled eggs are also a good energy booster.

Look in her ears for infection and in her mouth for any growths. Make her up some electrolyte water for an energy boost. Here's a recipe-
1 Cup Water
2 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda

Also put a little ACV in her water. That'll improve her appetite and help her all around. Plain yogurt is also good to give as it is a probiotic and will help strengthen her immune. Scrambled eggs are also a good energy booster.
Thanks I did the water thing and she drank a little. I did check out her ears and actually I see a bit of bubbling on her right ear. Does that mean she has an ear infection?

Attachments

• IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 4
Yes, maybe some sort of a respitory infection. I would either order the silver or go get another disinfectant liquid to drip in her ears asap. Can you see if there's any puss or gunk that needs gotten out?

Back
Top Bottom