1 year old Polish hen limping severely, please help!

Ch1ckenL0ver

Hatching
Jun 6, 2021
My Polish hen Potato started limping lightly a few days ago. I picked her up and checked her feet and legs and I didn’t see any signs of injury so I let her go about as usual thinking not too much of it. Everyday it’s been getting worse and now she hardly uses it to walk, she just hops. I examine her daily but I can’t see any sign of injury. It’s not bumblefoot and her legs and toes feel fine. I concluded it was a hock issue since that is the area of her body she tries to take the pressure off. It’s her right hock, and it doesn’t feel bulgy or broken, just a tad warm. She gets a very nutritious, organic diet and all my other hens are perfectly healthy. I’ve confined her to a small run so she doesn’t walk around anymore, and she just lays there all day, walking only to get food and water. At night I pick her up and put her inside the coop, it’s not a traditional coop though it’s only a few feet wide and she shares it with one other hen. They get along very well. Also, her leg now twists slightly inward so she steps on it with her other foot and trips. Should I wrap the leg up? Any help will be greatly appreciate, thanks.

I’ve done another examination and her right leg is much warmer then her left. Her hock and her foot are both swollen. No cuts, bruises, broken bones from what I can see. I don’t think it is a disease but rather an injury to her muscle or something like that. I have no idea how to treat her though so any advice would be phenomenal. Thank you.

I’m so sorry you never got a reply. It must have been missed somehow or those who read it didn’t know how to help. I hope your hen is doing better now. 💕

Back
Top Bottom