1 Yr Old Brahmas Weak, Stumbling, Sick

kcharette

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
Hi Everyone,

Hoping I can get some advice with some sickly chickens I have.

I have two 1 Year Old Brahma Hens, whose symptoms began suddenly. They seemed to have lost orientation, wobbling, almost as if they were drunk, resting frequently, and their necks seem to be crooked. Poop is watery. They are pretty heavy ladies, but they are Brahma's so I assume this is normal compared to my Easter Eggers. They free range probably 25-35% of the week.

Several weeks ago I noticed one of the smaller Brahma's exhibit these symptoms. I removed her from the flock and set her up a temp home in a caged off kiddie pool. This particular chicken had a vitamin deficiency when she was a pullet and after a week of Rooster Booster was back to normal (someone on the webpage helped to diagnosis).

This time, I assumed something similar as she was eating, drinking and generally aware of her surroundings. After 2 days she became much worse, unable to sit up or respond to me, I didn't think she would make it for another 24 hours. Based on symptoms I assumed coccidiosis so I switch over to Corid Powder (1.5 tsp per gallon) about a week ago, providing water through a plastic syringe, and have seen a slight improvement. She is able to sit up on her own, she is now softly responding to me when I speak, but I feel like she's plateaued over the past few days. No improvements, just the same.

She's lost a lot of weight because she's not eating, so part of the advice I'm looking for is the best way to provide her sustenance. I'm don't particular feel comfortable with tube feeding but if I have to I will try.

Today I noticed the same initial symptoms with her sister, drunkenly walking around the yard. I've removed her from the flock as well, I'm hoping I caught this in time and added a preventative dose of Corid (3/4 tsp per gallon) to the rest of the flock. I did give them medicated feed as chicks.

Two things worth mentioning, for whatever reason this spring, I had an awful problem of sparrows accessing the chicken coop trying to drink the water and eat their food. Other than being thieves the big problem was their poop was getting everywhere. So I was a little concerned about contamination. Within days of the first chicken getting sick I closed up gaps in the coop and switched to a closed water bucket with nipple dispenser .

Item two, I'm fairly certain my neighbor has been throwing fertilizer pellets in his yard where my chickens sometimes venture (I provide him eggs, so he's okay with their company)

Any advice? I only have 5 chickens so it would be sad to loose two or more!

Thank you!

Worms?? Have you wormed them recently?
I was giving the first chicken Zyfend A while giving vitamins. Not sure if I should combine Corid with that though. Update: the chicken that just began showing symptoms today is literally sitting with her head upside down. Still breathing. Very similar to day 3 for the recovering chicken except this has progressed much more rapidly. I kid you not, it looks like the chicken is pocessed. Very disturbing.

Really looking for some Advice. Anyone ever heard of these symptoms? The more I go through the details the more I'm thinking it's something they're eating while free ranging. It's almost like it's a neurological problem.

Back
Top Bottom