1-yr-old RIR lethargic, not eating much, drinking a lot

memcmahan

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2023
I'm a fairly new & inexperienced chicken keeper. We got 5 hens in early June, all were 10 months old (we're told). The RIR has always been one of the healthiest (looking) of them, but we believe she's never laid.

Over the last couple months, she seems "stupid" or "blind" when treats are scattered, like she doesn't see them (or not interested?) even when dropped right in front of her.

The last week or so, she appears solitary & lethargic, and doesn't "follow" the flock when they all follow me or run to treats. She seems to be "pals" with many of the others, I don't suspect any bullying against her. In the past week or so, she often looks like she's falling asleep standing up. (See photo) That and the lethargy have been my alarm bell.

She has some white poop-streaks on her backside, not new, but more & runny looking.

I don't know what her food consumption has been (their feed has not changed, 18% "Feather Fixer"), but I have noticed her frequent water consumption for a couple months. I tried hand-feeding her today their favorite treat (dried bugs) and her feed pellets - she was not at all interested in either. She did eat some lettuce today and some meat scraps yesterday.

She has never roosted inside the coop, she's one of 2 that always lays on the floor of the coop at bedtime. (She does occasionally perch on things in the yard during the day, but not that I've seen in the last week or 2.)

The other 4 girls seem fine, we're getting 1-3 eggs/day with no extra light in their coop.

I'm in Northern Colorado, our nights lately have been just above freezing, but the girls survived two nights in single digits about a month ago! We're due for snow and temps in the teens & 20s soon.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

• 20231120_121638.jpg
    20231120_121638.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231120_121641.jpg
    20231120_121641.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 11
Poor thing, she doesn't look like she feels very well. The white one looks a bit droopy as well.

Can you feel of her abdomen below the vent between her legs for any bloat or feeling of fluid?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite) and oyster shell free choice for the hens?

I'd check to see if her crop is emptying overnight, if it's not, then begin treating her according to the article linked below.

While you are examining her, look for lice and mites. Consider getting a fecal float to see if she may benefit from deworming.

Do keep in mind that often when a crop is not functioning well, it's a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, worms, infection and/or coccidiosis.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thanks, Wyorp Rock. Since posting, I've been reading a lot here about "crop" issues - I had to google "crop", where/what it is on a chicken. I'll check Ruby's crop in the morning. Fortunately, she's the one who allows being handled/picked-up (even seems to like it).
I'll post my findings back here.

Thanks, Wyorp Rock. Since posting, I've been reading a lot here about "crop" issues - I had to google "crop", where/what it is on a chicken. I'll check Ruby's crop in the morning. Fortunately, she's the one who allows being handled/picked-up (even seems to like it).
I'll post my findings back here.
Oh good, keep me posted.

She's got a small hard crop. Tried massaging it gently a few times today. I offered her some soft foods this morning - she went for the cat food & boiled egg, then spent the day hunkered down against the bitey-cold. Lately she's usually the first into the coop; tonight she wouldn't move out from under the coop, I had to prod & lure her out, picked her up and put her in thru the egg box. I think I need to put her out of her misery, if she makes it thru the cold night tonight.

She's got a small hard crop. Tried massaging it gently a few times today. I offered her some soft foods this morning - she went for the cat food & boiled egg, then spent the day hunkered down against the bitey-cold. Lately she's usually the first into the coop; tonight she wouldn't move out from under the coop, I had to prod & lure her out, picked her up and put her in thru the egg box. I think I need to put her out of her misery, if she makes it thru the cold night tonight.
She doesn't seem to be doing very well and from the looks of her she's definitely not feeling well.

Putting her out of her misery certainly is something to consider, you are there to see her actions and know her best. It's never an easy decision to make.

If she survives the night and you change your mind, then I'd start with giving her coconut oil and a massage. Since she's so unwell, she may benefit by being moved to somewhere a little warmer if possible, a garage or shed(?) Work on hydration, giving the soft food is fine. Try to determine if the crop has soured as well, most often it's brewing a yeast infection before you detect an odor, so giving an antifungal like Miconazole or Clotrimazole twice a day can be helpful as well.

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this, it's something that I've seen a few times, it never gets any easier. :hugs

I’m sorry to hear about her issues as well. A warmer environment (as @Wyorp Rock suggests) certainly can help her handle what’s happening to her more comfortably, until you figure out what’s wrong and attempt treatment. I hope she recovers. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom