10 chickens in a coop

SugarChick

Songster
May 1, 2018
Hawaii
i have ten chickens I will be placing in a coop and run I’m getting this week. I have one rooster and one chick that is about 8 weeks old amount those 10. I won’t put the chick and it’s mom in the coop just the 7 hens and one rooster. I will have them there as permanent cool and run . Before I give dementions of the run. What would you do for that many chickens? Also I will have 3-4 nesting boxes. Is that enough for about 8 hens?

Last edited:

cavemanrich

Addict
7 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
Rule of thumb for coop size is 4 square feet per chicken. All that of course does take different factors into consideration. Your location is key to it. You can get by with a smaller coop since your chickens will only utilize the coop to sleep and lay eggs. Your chickens will most likely not be confined to coop for extended periods. I am assuming that you have a run provided for them. That is where they will most likely spend most of the day.
3 nesting boxes are sufficient for your number of hens. You will see that most likely ALL will be using one or two of the nestings anyways.

animalyodelers

Songster
Oct 21, 2018
Olympia, WA, USA
General rule is 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop, 10 sq ft per chicken in the run. More if they are very large breeds like brahmas or jersey giants.

I was planning a coop that was probably about 3 sq ft per chicken with plans to expand in the spring (mine are just pullets now), but I went bigger and I'm glad I did. The weather here isn't always great so there are some days they spend a lot of time in the coop by their choice. I feel better knowing they have room to put their food and water inside, and they can still move around happily.

Top Bottom