10 chickens only four eggs a day

kathy a

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
I am new to backyard chickens. My 10 girls were an Easter present from my husband. I am loving it and this site! Here's my question. I have 5 each of leghorns and what the tractor store said were red sex-links and they have a coop and pen but 5 are pretty committed to free ranging (1 red and 4 whites are usual culprits and leave the pen. They have started to lay, and I have collected 4 eggs a day for about 2 weeks now from the nesting boxes in the coop and hard as I've looked I haven't found any in the yard. Should I look harder or do you think some are not laying yet?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
It is possible that some of them are not laying yet and also the ones that are laying won't lay frequently at first. It could take them anywhere from 2-6 weeks to start laying regularly.

If they just started laying 2 weeks ago, hold out a while before searching high and low for hidden nests. Some of our chickens started laying 1-2 months after our first egg and all of them had the same hatch date.

Assuming you have food and water in the coop, you could try keeping them locked in the coop until noon or 2 in the afternoon and see if you do get more eggs in the nest boxes.

Today I left them in until 11 and had 3 then and just collected 2 more. One of which was in pen but not in nesting box. This is the second ground egg in a week. I think it's my slow chicken. I love her though. Every night at chicken bedtime I have to help her on to a special low perch just for her. She is sweet. I use kosher salt to clean these ground eggs off and they look as good as ones from nesting boxes. Thanks for your responses and encouragement. ♡ chickens.

Back
Top Bottom