10 chickens only four eggs a day

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kathy a, Aug 1, 2013.

1. kathy a

kathy a New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    I am new to backyard chickens. My 10 girls were an Easter present from my husband. I am loving it and this site! Here's my question. I have 5 each of leghorns and what the tractor store said were red sex-links and they have a coop and pen but 5 are pretty committed to free ranging (1 red and 4 whites are usual culprits and leave the pen. They have started to lay, and I have collected 4 eggs a day for about 2 weeks now from the nesting boxes in the coop and hard as I've looked I haven't found any in the yard. Should I look harder or do you think some are not laying yet?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] It is possible that some of them are not laying yet and also the ones that are laying won't lay frequently at first. It could take them anywhere from 2-6 weeks to start laying regularly.

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome.....so glad you joined BYC

My guess is it wont be long and you will be rolling in the eggs :)

4. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

If they just started laying 2 weeks ago, hold out a while before searching high and low for hidden nests. Some of our chickens started laying 1-2 months after our first egg and all of them had the same hatch date.

Assuming you have food and water in the coop, you could try keeping them locked in the coop until noon or 2 in the afternoon and see if you do get more eggs in the nest boxes.

5. kathy a

kathy a New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Today I left them in until 11 and had 3 then and just collected 2 more. One of which was in pen but not in nesting box. This is the second ground egg in a week. I think it's my slow chicken. I love her though. Every night at chicken bedtime I have to help her on to a special low perch just for her. She is sweet. I use kosher salt to clean these ground eggs off and they look as good as ones from nesting boxes. Thanks for your responses and encouragement. ♡ chickens.

6. Some probably just have not started laying I hope they lay soon! and Welcome to BYC glad u joined us!
    [​IMG]

7. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Don't we all... At work they call me Chicken boy and when I leave EPIC open my coworkers will change my patient list to something involving chickens. Last time it was el pollo loco.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kathy a, and [​IMG]! Happy to have you with us! Good luck to and I hope your chickens pick up the egg production!

10. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC from Wisconsin. I wouldn't worry too much. I had the same issue. Once I kept them penned up until early afternoon my "egg in the box" numbers doubled. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by