10 day old baby chick with swollen crop please help

kcobbs

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 7, 2013
I'm new at this and I have a 10 day old baby check that I noticed has a swollen crop iMassage tit and shortly after she pooped it looks fine she's been eating and drinking and she's not Lethargic, what should I do?

It is normal for chicks to have full crops after eating. Is it abnormally full and hard? Does it go down at all? Is the chick on pine savings? Sometimes when they are little they will eat the pine shavings and get an impacted crop. You can put them on paper towels or sand for awhile to get them to quit. Some will eat sand, too. If you think the crop is firm you can give a 1/4 tsp of olive or vegetable oil with a dropper and massage the crop a little to see if it goes down.

it is a little firm. They are on pine shaving I actually have to work and we'll get off in the morning do I have to wait or do I need to get my little girl to give her the Oil tonight?

Healthy baby chicks should have huge, full crops that empty overnight if food is removed.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I would compare her crop to the rest of the chicks before I treated. My chicks in a brooder never seem to stop eating overnight to ever have empty crops, LOL. Maybe try putting the affected one in a little shoebox with only water and no food, but still under the heat lamp with the others. Then check it's crop in the morning.

It is normal for chicks to have full crops after eating.  Is it abnormally full and hard?  Does it go down at all?  Is the chick on pine savings?  Sometimes when they are little they will eat the pine shavings and get an impacted crop.  You can put them on paper towels or sand for awhile to get them to quit. Some will eat sand, too.  If you think the crop is firm you can give a 1/4 tsp of olive or vegetable oil with a dropper and massage the crop a little to see if it goes down.
the rest of them are OK. The easiest for me to do is to remove the food. Will that be OK for the other four?

I am at work and my 11yr old is trying to help. I only have one water fountain. I can remove the food but I have four other babies.

thanks to everyone we are going to take the shavings and take the food out and I'll recheck her in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom