10-day old chick In distress...

Oh. So if I do a gallon mixture, how long will it last in the container? Not the one in the brooder but the one I mix it in.
You don't need to make a full gallon of it at a time that's just the average dosage amount. I just treated my chicks a few weeks ago and did 1/2 tsp in a quart (that's the size of their chick water) since you want a fresh mixture each day.

Thank you. I'm trying it now. He doesn't want to drink or eat but I keep putting his beak into a small spoon of it and he gets a little at time. Takes a min. or two or half a teaspoon maybe....I'm feeding them the chick crumb mash non-GMO
If it continues on tomorrow, then I would start the treatment for coccidiosis. It's better to be safe then sorry.

HELP! One of my chicks is in distress. I cleaned the butt off this one twice in the last week. I think it may be my rooster too. It's smaller and not thriving but right now it's so lethargic I don't know what to do. Brought it outside for 10-15 min to stand on the grass but it didn't really want to explore much either. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

I'm getting the Non-GMO chick crumble and the brooder is between 85-90 but they move away from the heat lamp. Last week when I got them they liked 90-95, but not now. I've put the lamp up higher now too.
Please post photos of the chick, his poop and of the brooder setup.

At 10 days old, the brooder temp is very likely too hot, especially when they are moving away from heat. Raise the lamp.

Work on getting the chick hydrated. Electrolytes or a little sugar water. Once drinking, then offer a little wet mash.

At 10 days old, Coccidiosis may be part of the problem.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Thank you all for your help. My little chick passed in my hands and now I have another question. She was all clean on the butt but had a small swelling in it and my question is should I have squeezed that a bit? Not sure the logistics of checking for Patsy But entirely! I'm a new chick mom. The other chickens I had I inherited with the house so newbies are an education!

Thank you all for your help. My little chick passed in my hands and now I have another question. She was all clean on the butt but had a small swelling in it and my question is should I have squeezed that a bit? Not sure the logistics of checking for Patsy But entirely! I'm a new chick mom. The other chickens I had I inherited with the house so newbies are an education!
Sorry to hear the chick passed - it happens to all of us however.
I wouldn't squeeze any part of a chick. The "swelling" you felt may have been the chick's vent unless it was somewhere else. The vent contains a muscle much like the sphincter in humans - don't squeeze the sphincter! :)

I'm sorry to hear she died. :hugs

No, I wouldn't squeeze the vent (butt).

Back
Top Bottom