10 eggs in the nest and counting

Well momma is being a bum and not sitting on her eggs. She'll come over and fuss with the nest all the time. Rearranging Bits of hay for a few minutes before getting bored and wandering off again. She might just not be ready to sit down for the long haul. Dont know, you'd think she wouldn't be paying such attention to the nest if she wasnt interested.

Dad however seems determined to single father these eggs he camps put on them for an hour or more at a time before giving up. Its usually just after she gets off them from one of her fussing phases. I think hes with program but shes just not ready yet. hopefully he doesn't screw up the incubation to much for when/if she does start.

Here's a pic of dad sitting on his nest of 12 eggs and mom ignoring him.
View attachment 2465648
Cuteness Overload?
(Shes didnt stick around sadly and now their both off the nest again)
View attachment 2465659
Definitely a cuteness overload! :love Sometimes the dads are more committed than the mums ;) At least she seems interested and might hatch some out in the future! :)

Honestly of she gives up after a few days I'm Just going to let it go. It's a bit early in the year for new hatchlings for me. Its going to still be pretty bitter cold when their 6 weeks old. I was planing on just buying some around april, but when she went broody I figured I'd give it a try.
If she gives up, might be for the best with the cold coming. I bet she will try again in the spring.

Iv taken the eggs away. I left her three and she seems stressed about where her eggs went but isnt inclined to sit on the remainder. She laid today's egg in the nest though so well have to see what she does. Maybe she'll start sitting when she gets more again.

I was worried that her oldest eggs would start going rotten, the three she kept were recent lays.

Back
Top Bottom