10 missing, found feather piles in tall brush

Twin Mom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Floresville, Texas
This is our first round of chickens and guineas. We count every night in the coop, and over the last two weeks we are down ten birds. No sign of anything. Yesterday DH was off, and able to walk out into the brush, and found three feather piles. Our guess is coyotes. Can we use the big hog trap to catch them? Has to be grabbing the birds during the day, cause they are locked up at night. What is the best bait? Any suggestions welcome.

yeas you can use the large heart traps or anything like that. If the animal you are trying to catch likes chicken bait it with store brought chicken. I have found that works best for chicken killers. Sorry about your losses and hope you catch what ever is getting your chickens.

I know this is going to sound cruel but the way Coyotes are killing chickens and really destroying rabbit & deer populations ( Or at least here in SC). The easiest way to catch them is get you some steel fishing leaders with rather large hooks and add some chunks of chicken meat on it and tie them to a bush near those feathers you found and you will catch them. Once you catch them you can kill them. They are getting really bad here to the point they will kill small dogs in your yard. Luckily I've not had to do this but some of my family has.

Back
Top Bottom