10 Month old Easter Egger died. Any ideas on why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JessWithChicks, Jan 6, 2013.

1. JessWithChicks

JessWithChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Our 10 month old EE seems to have died in her sleep last night. I dropped off some brussel sprout clippings about 6:30pm last night and tucked them in and all was well. She happily pecked them out of my hand. This afternoon when I went to collect eggs I found her dead, on the bottom of the coop. She was under the roosting bar with her tail tucked under her like she just fell off the bar, rump first and never woke up. She looks fine and acted fine in the days leading up to her death. The only thing a little weird is I'm certain she laid 3 eggs in 2 days. She hadn't layed in close to a week then bam, I had 3 nice and clean eggs from her yesterday. Since we forgot to collect the eggs the day before yesterday I am unsure of when they arrived although I find it hard to believe she laid 3 in one day. Although they were rather clean for this time of year.

Any thoughts on why or what I should look for in our other chickens? I've read to check for mites and possible worm the others. Just not sure what to think?? Many thanks...

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

You can check for mites and lice on the others and worm them if needed but sometimes chickens just die. She might have had a heart attack or something along those lines.

3. JessWithChicks

JessWithChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Thanks for the reply. I think she did "just die". Better in her sleep than any other way. :)

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to loose a chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by