10 month old hen in molt???????????

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
One of our b/o pullets was acting strangely quiet this morning in their coop, she had her back turned to the rest of the group and clearly wasn't interested in their morning treats. It's 11 degrees outside so I brought her inside to see if I could help warm her up and hand feed her. She ate a little scrambled egg, some scratch and drank a little water.

The other day, I noticed a fair amount of feathers in the coop and now I see bare patches on her neck and belly where it looks like new feathers are growing in.

Question, do you think she is in molt and if so, what can I do to keep her more comfortable? It's so cold outside and if she is in molt, I'm afraid she'll freeze to death out there. Should I keep her in a box inside for a few days?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have 3 (out of 4) 10 month old NHRs moulting, too. I'm adding gamebird starter (22% protein) to the feed. What a bad time for them to do this...9 degrees and about 4-6 inches of snow on the ground.
Dale-Ann

Yes they can molt their first year, usually it is a mini-molt and not so noticeable. What kind of temperatures are you talking about in your area? It would probably be best to leave her with the rest unless it is really cold, as she would acclimate to the warmth inside, and have re-integration problems when going back out. Make sure she is getting plenty of protein to make new feathers!

it's too late, she's been inside all day and enjoying it very much! I think I will let her go back out when it's above freezing, who knows when that will be! :)

It probably is a mini molt but she looked so cold out there this morning, I brought her in. I see and feel pin feathers in multiple areas on her body.

It is currently 18 degrees and went down to 11 last night.

Back
Top Bottom