10 months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheOLDNewChick, Nov 2, 2007.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I couldn't help but snicker when I went to the feed store earlier. The guy told me he hated to rain on my parade but my RIR's wouldn't start laying til they were about ten months old. And that wasn't a late date, that was average. << His exact words. I don't think this is true. What're y'alls opinions?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Nooooooooooo....my RIRs I use to have laid right on time at 23 weeks old.....Another feedstore knows diddle person...lol

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Never listen to feedstore personnel about ANYTHING! Two of my three RIRs laid their first egg in their 19th week!

4. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    That's what I told him too. He insisted I was wrong. I was like, okay, I'll be back in a couple weeks with a beautiful RIR egg. I'm thinking about when she does start laying (in a couple weeks if the hints she's leaving are anything to go by) I'm gonna save up a few and bring them to him, and tell him my RIR hen and I would like for him to have himself a nice omlette.

5. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Mine laid in their 20th week.. for some reason Feed Stores hire the absolute MOST clueless ppl on the market.. and the ones at my feed store "look" as if they know something.. older men with work clothes and kinda grubby looking... you would think they have gardened and had animals all their life.. but go ahead and ask them a question... [​IMG]
    They know nothing but pretend they do.... Im sure some feed store ppl do know something but none I have met..

6. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    SE Michigan
    Both of my Rir started laying at 19 weeks of age. I stopped going to one feed store by me after they had run out of flock raiser (all grain based) and tried selling me a layer ration with animal byproducts. My birds were only 12 weeks old and he said that they were way to old to be on grower and needed to be on layer . Luckily I knew better and have enough choices for feed stores to not have to shop there again.

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Yeah, when I bought 2 of my hens we were told they were Australorps and they are Black Sex Links, go fiqure.

8. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I've noticed feed store people don't know whether they're coming or going.. Which is why I love all of you so much! When I want answers... I consult the pro's on BYC!

9. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I have one RIR and she just started laying, she is only about 4 1/2 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by