10-week old Australorp, hen or roo?

Our first roo was kept with only four hens and everything was all right, it depends on if he is rough with the hens. If he’s a good and gentle rooster, he can help protect the flock and promote more regular laying, and not to mention you have the option of chicks! 😊

Thanks, everyone, for all your advice and encouragement! I think we're going to try to keep him, at least for a few weeks. If he gets too loud or aggressive we'll have to do something, but he seems to be such a gentle fellow that it's probably worth giving it a shot.

Our whole flock is named after Downton Abbey characters. This one was formerly Lady Mary. I suppose she'll have to be Lord Grantham now! :eek:

@TheOddOneOut , I was just reading your thread about Dominiques, and it was amusing and helpful. Would you be willing to look at my Dominique girl to confirm that she is, in fact, a girl? I can try to get a good picture later when I let them out at lunch to free range. Like your Pepper, she's a lighter shade. I'm pretty sure she's a hen, but after this Australorp rooster I'm getting paranoid about my whole "guaranteed females" flock.

Thanks, everyone, for all your advice and encouragement! I think we're going to try to keep him, at least for a few weeks. If he gets too loud or aggressive we'll have to do something, but he seems to be such a gentle fellow that it's probably worth giving it a shot.

Our whole flock is named after Downton Abbey characters. This one was formerly Lady Mary. I suppose she'll have to be Lord Grantham now! :eek:

@TheOddOneOut , I was just reading your thread about Dominiques, and it was amusing and helpful. Would you be willing to look at my Dominique girl to confirm that she is, in fact, a girl? I can try to get a good picture later when I let them out at lunch to free range. Like your Pepper, she's a lighter shade. I'm pretty sure she's a hen, but after this Australorp rooster I'm getting paranoid about my whole "guaranteed females" flock.
Sure! Don’t count me an expert, I was actually wrong with my guesses, but it is true I now have more experience and knowledge now!

Okay, here she is, at 10 weeks. We're thinking pullet because the comb is so pale, but I'm a little worried about the tail feathers and that lighter grey color. She's the most dinosaur-like of all our chickens--a little bug-stalking velociraptor!

IMG_20200811_105849.jpg

Okay, here she is, at 10 weeks. We're thinking pullet because the comb is so pale, but I'm a little worried about the tail feathers and that lighter grey color. She's the most dinosaur-like of all our chickens--a little bug-stalking velociraptor!

View attachment 2285956
She’s got me a little stumped, just like you.
The tail is way suspicious, both the formation of it and the actual feathers. They are uneven and as far as I can tell, a bit curved and roostery. Plus the fact that there‘s a black feather in there.
But that comb says girl to me.
Here’s mine at 10 weeks. Looks just like yours.
C9E1EE93-636A-4E7D-ACBB-3E38FD03B328.jpeg

The poor thing, being called ‘the rooster’ all along by moi.
My conclusion: sneaky little girl.

She’s got me a little stumped, just like you.
The tail is way suspicious, both the formation of it and the actual feathers. They are uneven and as far as I can tell, a bit curved and roostery. Plus the fact that there‘s a black feather in there.
But that comb says girl to me.
Here’s mine at 10 weeks. Looks just like yours.View attachment 2285970
The poor thing, being called ‘the rooster’ all along by moi.
My conclusion: sneaky little girl.

Wow, they could be twins! That's crazy! Hopefully that's a good sign that mine will be a girl, too.

Mine isn't very roosterish behavior-wise. When she was little we thought she might end up at the top of the pecking order, but she's close to the bottom now. She's not exceptionally curious. She was totally disinterested in humans for a long time. She's just starting to come over and say hi when we go outside. She generally doesn't give a hoot about what any of the other chickens are doing, either.

Thanks for your help!

Wow, they could be twins! That's crazy! Hopefully that's a good sign that mine will be a girl, too.

Mine isn't very roosterish behavior-wise. When she was little we thought she might end up at the top of the pecking order, but she's close to the bottom now. She's not exceptionally curious. She was totally disinterested in humans for a long time. She's just starting to come over and say hi when we go outside. She generally doesn't give a hoot about what any of the other chickens are doing, either.

Thanks for your help!
She sounds just like mine. Word for word. I hope she’s a she!

Back
Top Bottom