1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 week old brahma chicks are thin

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by featherfooted, Sep 10, 2013.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I have 8 Brahma chicks that are 10 weeks old. I picked them up yesterday and they were thin. I keep chick starter/grower in their coop 24/7. I have been useing ADM feed. Should I change brands? If not what else should I be feeding them. They are in a new coop that other chickens have been in and I haven't turned them outside yet with the other hens so I don't think they are wormy.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What is the protein % on what you are feeding? Have they been sick in any way? At that age, besides worms, a low level case of coccidia would be something to think about, even if they haven't been in contact with other chickens. Brahmas do tend to be gangly, not chubby like some breeds, but they usually are good eaters.

3. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    The feed is 18% protein, 3% fat. Their stools are normal and they seem to be eating fine. They are active and alert. They are big, as big as my Leghorns right now. Maybe they're just growing.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'll bet they're just fine. they're starting that teenager phase and they can look pretty crappy, but so can a 7th grade boy! Your feed sounds good, they're active.....brahmas can just take a while to mature, but man do they get big!

5. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    If you have a Tractor Supply co near you i would buy their Dumor brand chick starter, it is pretty high rated, i use it and it works great.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, adolescent brahmas are usually described using words like stork, giraffe, and dinosaur, so it is probably the teenage gangly phase. Joshua G mentioned TSC's Dumor, they do make a 20 & 24% protein chick starter if you want to up it a little bit.

7. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I may do that. They are definitely gangly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by