10 week old chick seems to have a paralyzed foot after dog caught her

ChicknLady341

Hatching
Jul 1, 2023
Hi there, I was moving my 10 week old chicks into their new coop after sunset, and the one always super sassy troublemaker one darted out and made a run for it. I had my two dogs with me as I didnt expect this to happen, and they "helped" by catching her and holding her down, but no bites. It was dark so I could not see exactly what happened, but since then, she has not been able to move one foot, and it seems to be paralyzed. The foot is warm but no movement or response to movement. I took her in the house and looked her all over, moved her leg all around, etc. Her leg moves fine and there doesnt seem to be any break, no chirps or pain as far as I could tell. Her one foot will grip my finger but this other foot is just limp (but warm). Today, two days in, I had her out of the coop for a minute and she was hopping about on one foot and learning to balance that way, though definitely not a pro at it yet. She is still with her two same age friends (they are all three cochins) and mostly just laying about, but hopping to eat and drink. She enjoyed watermelon today, though I had to lift it up as she kept sort of falling into it as she is a bit top heavy to be trying to balance on the one foot.

Besides getting poop on her belly featheres from laying on the coop roosting pan, since she can not roost on the bar, she seems okay, not active but not depressed or in pain. Im wondering if its a nerve injury? Is it something that is likely to recover from or heal? Her leg seems to be fine, she was lowering and raising it today, she just has a paralyzed foot she cant bear to walk on?

Thank you for any and all advice!

Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of her or video? Video needs to be uploaded to youtube and a link provided, the BYC upload doesn't work.

It could be nerve damage. There's no way to know if she'll eventually work it out and be able to get about better.
If possible, an xray would reveal breaks/fractures, but sometimes finding a vet that will see poultry can be hard to find or just too expensive.

It's good that she's able to be with her flock, I think that's one of the better scenarios and I'd leave her unless they start picking at her.

I'd start her on vitamin therapy to help with nerve and leg support. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her a treat of egg daily to help with the uptake of E.
If she's getting soiled, consider placing her in straw or pine shaving box at night inside the coop so she's not on the poop tray.

You can also try placing her in a sling to get her more upright and her body supported. She may learn to work the leg while supported as well. There's many "versions" of chick chairs, you can find some examples in the thread linked below. You'll want to monitor while in the chair/sling since some birds can get tired of it and try to get out, injuring themselves further.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of her or video? Video needs to be uploaded to youtube and a link provided, the BYC upload doesn't work.

It could be nerve damage. There's no way to know if she'll eventually work it out and be able to get about better.
If possible, an xray would reveal breaks/fractures, but sometimes finding a vet that will see poultry can be hard to find or just too expensive.

It's good that she's able to be with her flock, I think that's one of the better scenarios and I'd leave her unless they start picking at her.

I'd start her on vitamin therapy to help with nerve and leg support. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her a treat of egg daily to help with the uptake of E.
If she's getting soiled, consider placing her in straw or pine shaving box at night inside the coop so she's not on the poop tray.

You can also try placing her in a sling to get her more upright and her body supported. She may learn to work the leg while supported as well. There's many "versions" of chick chairs, you can find some examples in the thread linked below. You'll want to monitor while in the chair/sling since some birds can get tired of it and try to get out, injuring themselves further.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thank you! I will try all of these. I am hoping its a sprain (but no swelling or bruising I could see) but nerve damage does seem more likely. I am hoping that her young age, and general feistiness, will help her recover, whether its on two legs or one <3 I have a good b-complex at home, will see if I can maybe moosh up 1/4 of a tablet into some soft scrambled egg for her <3

Back
Top Bottom