10 Week Old Chicks will NOT go into the coop

View attachment 2759311

Waiting until dark did the trick! Thank you! Now they don't want to come out! :D

I just added birds to an empty coop/run. Two nights ago, one went in, last night all went in, but sitting at the door. I shut the pop up door, and am leaving them a bit this morning as it is rainy and cool. They did not roost, but I expect them to do so tonight.

Where ever they are sleeping in the run, I try and make it less desirable. Going down too early does cause problems, going down later, does help.

MRs K
Thanks! Good pointers!

They
Or they might settle onto the lower roost....ether way they'll figure it out.
Seemed to have sorted it out. The young ones ended up perching together in a bamboo rod that runs a cross the window. With older girls right next to them on top roost. Also the young ones came out of the coop early evening and only required a small amount of coaxing to go in at dark. Yay!!!!

4 days isn't very long. ideally you should quarantine new birds for a month before introducing them to the rest of the flock in case of disease.

having a separate coop and run near to the main one really helps as you can put them there for a couple of weeks and the chickens will be able to see and get used to each other. if you are just locking up chickens of different flocks with no introduction they will see them as an invader and probably kill them if the interlopers can't escape due to the confinement. introducing them behind wire for minimum a week seems to work well.

it looks like yours are settling in well, just be cautious as there might still be squabbles between them this early.

4 days isn't very long. ideally you should quarantine new birds for a month before introducing them to the rest of the flock in case of disease.

having a separate coop and run near to the main one really helps as you can put them there for a couple of weeks and the chickens will be able to see and get used to each other. if you are just locking up chickens of different flocks with no introduction they will see them as an invader and probably kill them if the interlopers can't escape due to the confinement. introducing them behind wire for minimum a week seems to work well.

it looks like yours are settling in well, just be cautious as there might still be squabbles between them this early.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom