10 WEEK OLD PULLET CAN'T PICK UP TREATS FROM THE GROUND

CHICKLOVER69

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Sulphur, Louisiana
Wasn't sure where to post this. I have 9 pullets, 10 weeks old. Me and the wife hand feed them treats every afternoon. One of the Light Brown Leghorns will not eat out of our hands, really shy. We throw some treats to her and she will peck below it every time, unable to pick it up. She tries but just keeps missing it. She eats regularly out of the feeder, but can not pick up anything off the ground. She looks completely normal. It's like me wearing cheaters and go to reach for something and it is actually further away than it looks. Sounds funny, but can chickens be near or far sighted? Feel bad cause she never gets any treats. She is healthy, so no major concern, just wondering if anyone has every experienced this. Thanks and don't laugh too hard.
lau.gif

She obviously has some kind of vision problem, hard to say what or why....genetic defect maybe.
What are the treats? What if you toss a bigger treat?

We have a big stack of flour tortillas and tear them into nickel size pieces. Their favorite. Also feed them meal worms. She scratches for bugs while the others eat the snacks. Weird.

We have a big stack of flour tortillas and tear them into nickel size pieces. Their favorite. Also feed them meal worms. She scratches for bugs while the others eat the snacks. Weird.
Maybe she knows that tortillas are junk food?

She can catch bugs with no problem?

The other 8 love the tortillas. It's their favorite. We try different things, even the meal worms. She tries to pick them up but can't. Don't know. She is healthy and eats out of the feeder so no major worries. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before. Kind of funny watching her ,but also feel bad at the same time.
long as she is eating, guess she will be fine

Back
Top Bottom