10 wks old and still afraid of me

To me they sound like 'your basic chickens' so I am not sure how useful it would be to rehome them and get new ones... you'd most likely end up with the same thing again.

Chickens just basically don't like being chased, which they sorta have to be to some extent because they are also not real avid about being loomed over or reached out to or picked up. If you were 14" tall and 'the original white meat' to pretty much the entire animal kingdom, you would probably feel the same
wink.png
So I am not sure it's reasonable to expect that they won't try to run away. At least at this stage. Once they come into lay, you may find that looming over them from behind gets them thinking along, uh, other lines... and however it may or may not make you feel, they certainly are MUCH easier to pick up when they're squatting
wink.png

There are definitely more and less productive ways to try to catch them, though. Perhaps it would be worth sort of 'working on your technique'? If you know someone who's really good with chickens maybe you could see what they do. Otherwise, just try different things and take mental notes.

For me what helps is:

-- don't try to catch them in a large area

-- pick one chicken as your target and stay with it - just totally ignore the others, even if they momentarily seem easier to grab

-- move slowly at all times except the very final 'catch' movement. Walk bent over, with your arms hanging down and use the position of your arms (slow, deliberate movements only) to gently 'herd' the target chicken, preferably towards a corner. Only apply as much 'pressure' as you can do without the chicken breaking out of a walk or slow trot.

-- eventually you will get the chicken in a corner, or against a wall, so that it is equally poised between the 'force' of your right arm and the 'force' of your left arm. Keep them exactly balanced as you slowly and relaxedly close in.

-- ideally you can keep the chicken in place there til you can just quickly reach down, gently push it against the floor, and get hold of its legs and body. Realistically you may find yourself going after it as it makes a break past you to one direction or the other, but oh well
smile.png

I am SURE there are other and doubtless better ways to do it as well. OTOH I know for a fact that there are also worse ways
wink.png

I try to give them something nice after I've picked them up, to leave them with a good feeling about the experience -- like tossing down a few particles of scratch or sunflower seeds.

Good luck,

Pat

Im still confused at our insistence that they like us, that they show fawning affection for our mere presence. All the responses so far have been geared toward calming them enough so we can "snatch" one up, unawares.

Chicken: "Oh, that big thing isn't moving so lets mellow out and go back to pecking and scratching. After all, our attention spans are small. There, that's better. Oh look, a nice bug, I think I'll get it - - - - Begaaaaawk! What the....... that big creature has gotten a hold of me. Help HELLLLP!"
You: " I finally caught one!"
I mean, think about if from their level. It's a trust issue.

These creatures dont like us for the simple reason that their survival is at stake; it's nothing personal. They don't know that you arent trying to kill them (in fact for all they DO know, you may be!). Chickens seem to like calm routine best. Anything as big as you that enters their world and comes at them, arms outstretched, has gotta be trouble.

Yard birds can grow accustomed to our presence and on occasion one or another will actually seem to be at least unafraid of us. Can that not be sufficient?

Unfortunately, I dont suppose anyone told you all this, so you went in thinking they would behave like other pets. No wonder you're upset. With that, may I humbly suggest you should look into getting a nice dog?

Last edited:
Patee, I'm sorry to hear that I have so many that are the same way. Are you interested in getting more chicks down the line, the only ones that let me hold them and pet them are my red stars, they've always been friendly and eager to be held. I didn't treat them any differently then my others but still they seem to be the only ones interested in my affection. One of them is down right offended if I leave the chicken yard without giving her some attention. I hear most red stars are pretty affectionate across the board. JMHO

Quote:
Thanks.

Giddiness and "CHICKENS - WHEEEEEEEEE"
wee.gif
seem to be at the core of many of our troubles.

Pragmatism is a good cause to champion, even if it's value is misunderstood.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
i have to interject, that chickens are individuals, and they all have different personalities, and levels of intelligence (keeping in mind that none of them are Einsteins).

The first two chicks i started with last year were RIR. i took care of them, cleaned their bedding, gave them food and water, showered them with affection. Yet every time i got near they acted like "ACK! Who the heck are you!" Who needs that? i don't expect to strike up a philosophical conversation with them, but at the very least don't want to be looked at like a monster.

From the moment i got Penny my avatar, she was as sweet as they come. She would love to sit on my lap and tuck her head under my arm. She's a little big for that now, although she still tries it on occasion. Most of my silkies are very friendly, my Showgirls are lap dogs, and even the Red Star pullets i added are fine with being held.

The point is, not every chicken is the same. Some breeds are friendlier, and then even within a friendly breed you will find differences. If someone's goal is to have sweet chickens that love to held and showered with affection, they are out there.

I agree airheart~ I met a rooster that had to be homed (I wanted him so bad) he was a Mille d'Ullce (I have a hen and I think they would make such great babies) any way.....

He was such a lover, he loved me a stranger to him pet him hold him, and he didn't want to let me leave.
barnie.gif
I wanted him so bad.

And I see all the time on this forum about people that have really friendly chickens. House chickens, lap chickens, shoulder chickens.

But DAve I have to agree with you too. You are right about "THEY are CHICKENS" Unfortunately when you said get a small dog.... I just had put my small dog to sleep last week.
hit.gif

Anyway.... Out to the coop~

Quote:
I usually note when that is the case that it isn't a chicken crowded up with a lot of flock mates. It seems that when the flock mentality gets hold, little can undo it.
But there are individual cases of the "friendly chicken." I had one once - Ive not had one again, since.

Back
Top Bottom