10 wks old and still afraid of me

Pattee - i am SO sorry about your dog. Dang, that has to be one of the hardest things to do. i had to put three of my cats to sleep in the last three years, and would rather have poked my eyes out with hot pokers. The poor things don't understand what's happening. Just hoping they are healthy and happy on the other side, in kitty and puppy heaven.

Please accept my deepest condolences. :aww

Chicken idolization is great--There are few things quite as cute as chickens streaking across the yard to meet you when you go outside!

Something I've found to be effective in teaching chickens to not be afraid of people is to linger and pet them right after you fill their food or water (ESPECIALLY THE WATER). They'll "squeal" and jump away at first, but their hunger or thirst will bring them right back. Rub them gently in front of one of their wings or on their breast. It seems they soon associate this stroking with pleasantness also from their little crops getting filled at the same time.

Another extremely effective method for gentling chickens: After catching one, hold and stroke it a while until it calms down. To release the chicken, slowly lower it toward the ground while holding its wings against the sides of its body. If the chicken starts to struggle, immediately lift it away from the ground. Then try moving toward the ground again. As soon as it wriggles again, lift upwards again. Once it stays calm all the way to the ground, hold it there just a couple seconds, maybe give it a stroke, and let it go. Chickens learn that stressing out and trying to wrench away isn’t rewarding. Don't ask for perfection at first, but do work for reasonable progress. Most learn very soon (within 4 or so times) to be more calm and relaxed while being handled.

That said, I used to wonder along with others about whether any chickens really liked being held and/or petted. Then I got the tamest batch of chickens I've ever had. They're Large Fowl Ameraucanas I mail ordered from a breeder who told me her chickens are very docile and that her friendliest is one of her roosters. The hen I still have has flown up on my back or arm different times (and does NOT want to get down
lau.gif
). She LOVES to be cuddled and nestles her head beneath my chin (see my avatar) and makes happy-hen sounds. She enjoys being held very much. She will often ignore food when I pick her up, even—She just enjoys me petting her or traipsing around with her.

Sometimes they change a lot as they grow up. This same hen was fairly skittish as a chick. I’ve had chicks that were very tame get offish when older.

However, I have found some chickens do not enjoy handling no matter how much you work with them.

What breed are they? My leghorns are still skittish after 5 months but my younger barred rocks and specklet sussex are much less so.

None of my chickens would qualify as a pet. It is a little sad, but I still sit for a bit and enjoy them when I can. I guess one of the great thing about chickens is that you sort of have to enjoy them on their terms. I hope to someday have a sweet pet chicken, but I think it will be an aberration when it happens!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom