10%

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sparkles2307, May 7, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Is it true that you can count on losing about 10 percent of your flock in the first few weeks of life? I am so stoked that all 100 made it alive thru the mail and we still have all 100 after the first 24 hours...I dont want to get too excited yet, but they all look SO good, only 1 poopy butt (mild at that) in the entire bunch and no other signs of illness or distress. So really, what is a realistic number to be prepared to lose in mail order chicks?

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    That is usually from shipping stress. If your chicks are looking good, they will probally make it. Don't worry too much about the statistics.

3. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Maybe you will not loose any..! That would be nice, I got all 26(LF) of mine going on 8 wks....[​IMG] [​IMG] Have a new batch comming(bantams) on friday. Will let you know what happens.[​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I havent lost any that I hatched myself. They are from 6-12 weeks and all doing great.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I didn't lose any of my 19 shipped chicks!! They're 15 weeks now.

ETA- Well... didn't lose any until we had a rooster day... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I read so many disaster stories, I was expecting the worst when I received my chicks in the mail a year ago. I was planning on having around a dozen chickens, going into winter. I got 26. All of them made it. I did lose 2 when they were older and free ranging. However, the other 24 are happy and healthy, as we speak. Don't worry- it is very likely you will have lots of success with your chicks!!

7. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Oh whew what a relief! Its kind of hard to hold back from getting too excited you know!? They are all very healthy, picking at each other's toes (the poor ducklings...their toes really get attention) and running laps around the brooder. Oh that really makes me happy! Its so wonderful having 109 babies peeping away bringing such life to the garage lol![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by