1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

100 Cornish X's, On average how many should i expect to lose?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DENALI, May 25, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Lost 2 a couple days ago and 4 today. 2 were still alive tonight but they were very lethargic and basically cant seem to wake up so i expect them to be gone tomorrow. They are 6 weeks now.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    25% crop loss is not unheard of, so you are doing well from that perspective. :eek:

3. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Your doing very well, but it may be time to consider restricting their feed. Your ready to butcher in a week or 2 so feed them only what they will eat overnight/morning and in the heat of the day let them just have cool water. Digestion creates lots of heat and they don't tolorate heat well so that can remove some stress, as well they tend to over eat at that age anyway. Give them more space at the feeders and just more total space to be sure that trampling and comitition are not factors in some not doing well.

If your losses continue at that rate start your processing with the big ones now and continue till you have those that look like they are not at all athletic done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by