101 Ways to Kill

For Turkeys we Shoot them in the head with a .22, then cut their head off. Quick, & painless method.

Chickens, their heads get cut off with a knife. (a not so great knife, hate it) Got my dad a brand new hatchet to chop heads, but he says it needs to be sharpened, cuz it's dull.

if u skin the bird its easier than plucking
Agree. Easier, faster but doesn't taste as good. The skin adds a lot of fat and flavor while keeping the meat moister. Not as important in a broiler, but vital in an old stewing bird.

Unless you have a lot of pin feathers. In that case, ditch the skin cause it isn't always worth fighting for.

Plucking is worth it to me. I pluck even if there are some pin feathers from a juvenile molt. But, we love the crispy chicken skin you get from roasting and BBQ. And, chicken wings. I've gotten faster and it helps to keep a pair of needle-nose pliers at the ready.

If you can butcher either before or after the juvenile molt, plucking is much, much easier, but sometime the timing just doesn't work out, particularly for the dual purpose cockerels. I find that they are always getting big enough to be worth it, but not yet tough, at the same time as they go through their mini-molt. It's a pain, but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom