105 degrees outside

Cool, so for a dust bath area, what medium should I use? Just the dirt in the run ok? Or should I use potting soil? Will it be dusty if I hose it down? Or should I just lightly hose it? Don’t soak it?
Any dirt is fine. I have a dirt run but I put a kiddie pool in mine and shovel dirt in the pool for depth. I happen to already have a big load of sandy loam that was brought in for a different project and so I just use that. They don't care! lol As for water I just take a bucket and just pour it all over the top - they do the rest. It doesn't need to be soaked but I find they love it when it is damp.

Yes plenty of ventilation, a large window pops down with chicken wire behind it, and I leave the run door open, and there are vents up top as well.
You're good to go. I wouldn't worry about it. I have never used fans or air conditioning. I just make sure they have the essentials - water, ventilation, cool dirt and shade.

You're good to go. I wouldn't worry about it. I have never used fans or air conditioning. I just make sure they have the essentials - water, ventilation, cool dirt and shade.
Awesome thanks! Have yours been in 107 temps? The forecast just changed to 107…. Whew! Not sure I’m gonna be able to handle that honestly! Haha! Texas is dang hot!!!

Awesome thanks! Have yours been in 107 temps? The forecast just changed to 107…. Whew! Not sure I’m gonna be able to handle that honestly! Haha! Texas is dang hot!!!
Oh wow, I am right above you in Oklahoma and yes, they've been in those temps. Yours are still young and might struggle with regulating body temp, so keep an eye on them.

Oh wow, I am right above you in Oklahoma and yes, they've been in those temps. Yours are still young and might struggle with regulating body temp, so keep an eye on them.
Ok thank you, will do. I just hooked up a misting system on their run, hopefully that helps. It’s shaded also with two large tarps over the whole run.

If there is lots of humidity already in the air, adding misters, watering down the run can add to the misery of the chickens. I am in central Texas and it is hot and humid. Misting the run would add more humidity and if they cannot escape that they will be miserable.

Mine free range and find "cool" (always relative) spots under decks and bushes, etc. I focus on keeping the water cool/cold, I add cold water to their feed, which the love and on days when the weather is over 98 with a high humidity I give them watermelon for extra hydration.

On really hot days I will water the back lawn after the shade hits it so they can enjoy the cool grass while they eat their watermelon.

I also make sure I move their water/food so that they are always in the shade and I change it when it gets warm. No one, especially chickens, like a hot gulp of water on a hot day. Ideal drinking water for chickens on hot days is 50-54 degrees f.

Back
Top Bottom