1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

105 Temp spike and quail are hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ugly ducky, Jan 24, 2009.

1. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    Whew! My hatcher had a temp spike to 105 on the 15th day, yet this morning (day17) we are getting quail chicks. The spike could have been as long as 4 hours, but when I found it, I said to heck with the humidity, and opened the top to let it cool down. I figured the temp would kill them quicker than a short time of low humidity, Then I quickly added wet paper towels, and had the humidity back within just a few minutes. Had the first pips on the 16th day, but none hatched till the 17th. So far we're at 3 hatched with several more pips that I can see....boy, those Coturnix eggs are tough to even see the pips.
    My hatcher is a converted pediatric incubator from a hospital. It's been doing real well as a hatcher, and of course this was the first time it spiked like this. I've hatched about 100 chicks in it, but this is my first try at quail.

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

[​IMG] Good news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by