1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

107 degrees - YIKES! **Update - Chicks hatched! Pic Page 2!!!**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Feb 13, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've had my LG bator running for a couple days now to make sure the temp was stable. Filled it to capacity last night and slowly and carefully monitored the temp. It was climbing up VERY slowly and at 11pm when I went to bed, it was 98 degrees. I woke up at 4am, checked, and YIKES! It was 107! Both thermometers read the same so there's no chance that they were off.

I have no way of knowing how long it was 107 but I know that 107 is a lethal temp. Should I toss these eggs and start over? Is there any hope? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Well, it will probably affect your hatch rate but I have had this happen during hatches (mostly because my daughter,3, would get in to sneak a peak at the eggs and turn the themostat to get the light to come on) and I still had about 1/3 of the chicks hatch.

You'll have a better idea when you candle. Hang in there.

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Quote:Mine spike up to a 119 F, for two hours but I candled them and the were bobbing. Goodluck, I have my fingers crossed for you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I had 2 bad hatches at 106. Evening sun would hit the incubator. Finally had a day off and figured out the problem. Good luck!

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:107 is way too high.

You don't want to wait three weeks to find that they won't hatch, but it is worth waiting until day 7 or 8. You should be able to tell then how they are doing.

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks all. We're going to start collecting more eggs now, then I'll candle on day 7 and go from there. [​IMG]

7. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me the second time I hatched. Long story short, it was not a total disaster, but I didn't have as successful a hatch as the first time I tried it. 15 out of 30 eggs hatched. I have no idea if that percentage would have been higher if I hadn't had the extreme temperature spike. The eggs were shipped through the mail during a very cold part of January, so that could have had an impact, too. The babies that did hatch were all healthy with the exception of one poor little Sultan who died at 2 days old.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I totally forgot about this and wanted to update: I candled on day 7 and most of the eggs were progressing just fine. The others probably weren't fertile anyway. I was very surprised and looking forward to a good hatch next week. [​IMG]

9. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Ouch, that hurts.....are you making egg salad with those hard boiled eggs? LOL....I would candle as well and hope for the best....odds are not in your favor however....Good Luck
    HappyHatch'en

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It takes awhile for the inside of an egg to actually heat up to the same as the air temp. The eggs probably didn't reach 107 and considering how long it takes the bator to come back to temp after adding lots of eggs they probably weren't at a high temp for very long before you found them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by