10X10 coop, how many chickens does that comfortably hold?

Well, we re-homed a roo, and two hens last Thursday.

Tomorrow I get a roo and pullet juvies from Pips & Peeps.. BLUE AMERAUCANAS!!!!

We are only getting 10 or 11 eggs a day and that's not enough from 22 hens (and I only have an 8 X 12 coop)... so, until I get some more little breeding pens built, I'm going to have to figure out which hens are not laying and I'm going to teach the 12 and 14 year old how to process dual purpose birds.

PLUS, I get a bator in the mail on Wednesday and shortly thereafter I'l be getting more Blue Wheaten Ameraucana eggs as well as Cuckoo Marans and Salmon Faverolles. So... I'll have to either re-home some roos or raise them to 4 months and pic which ones I want as breeders.

Hello, my name is Mahonri and I am a chickenaholic.
For a non-commercial chicken operation plan on each bird laying 1 egg every other day on average. The industrial large production egg farms get nearly 1 egg each day from every chicken. If u want to pump your birds full of what they give them - then you too can achieve that laying rate.

For a non-commercial chicken operation plan on each bird laying 1 egg every other day on average. The industrial large production egg farms get nearly 1 egg each day from every chicken. If u want to pump your birds full of what they give them - then you too can achieve that laying rate.
Breed dependent too. Mine free range with a commercial feeding once daily at 18% protein, free choice oyster shell. Still average about 80% eggs/laying hens. The Comets are good for, essentially, every day. The Rainbows are close to that as well. Falls off a bit for the SLW and Brahma, that's where my numbers really waffle. Even my CornishX manages (almost) 4 days in 5 - THAT was a surprise.

Of course, all my birds are under 1 year in age, and I plan to cull as soon as they go into molt - but that's a management practice to maximize production, not something to do with feed additives.

Im building a new coop closer to the house. Trying to decide if I build ramps and perches, how many chickens can I fit in a 10X10 chicken coop?
I have 24 ft long 12 run 9 coop 3 ft tack room8 ft wide I have 8 chickens and the fight over roosting area. I have had to put dividers on the roost and it’s still not enough I’m going to add another 7 ft long roost. I would love to add another hen but they are so territorial . According to the info I could have 20 or more chickens. Maybe the more there are the less fighting there would be. I have 2 left from my original flock 2 yrs old then I added 2 16 weekers then I added 4 12 weekers . I kept the young ones divided for one month. This week I took the dividers out . No one is getting hurt and I have food all over but I still worry about the young ones.

Back
Top Bottom