11 month old hen falling off roost

Lothar1974

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hello, we have a Easter egger who was falling off the roost like she couldn't keep her balance. We brought her in the house and she did eat some meal worms and was walking around the house ok. She seems ok holding her and can't see any visible trauma. She was fine all day that I noticed. Not sure what to do? Any thoughts or suggestions? Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Jason

Can she walk okay?
Yes, we brought her in the house and she was walking all over and even jumped out of our arms 3 times. Could it be she was sleepy and just disoriented? We have her in a huge plastic bin with pine shavings and she appears to be sleeping in a corner of it. Just not sure what to think of it all.

How old is she? Any possibility that she may have gotten into something toxic? Moldy feed, leaking fluids from machinery, etc? I would see how she is in the morning, see what her droppings look like overnight (pictures may be helpful), check her crop first thing in the morning before she has food or water, see if it's empty, full, soft & squishy, etc. It should be empty then. Then see how she eats and drinks tomorrow. Update us with what you find.

How old is she? Any possibility that she may have gotten into something toxic? Moldy feed, leaking fluids from machinery, etc? I would see how she is in the morning, see what her droppings look like overnight (pictures may be helpful), check her crop first thing in the morning before she has food or water, see if it's empty, full, soft & squishy, etc. It should be empty then. Then see how she eats and drinks tomorrow. Update us with what you find.
She's about 11 months old, no moldy food around or any fluids around, we keep everything kept up good. Will check her out in the AM as suggested.

So she was OK through the night the couple times we checked on her. This AM she has a egg membrane sticking out, so it's a compacted egg we think. Gave her a warm soak and at the vets office now waitingto be seen.

Meh, vet thinks she may not make it. They are doing x-rays. Said that they will do calcium and fluids, but said good chance that she won't make it :(

Back
Top Bottom