11 week old hen had 3 days trapped without food and water

fletchkatie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2015
So I got back from trip to visit relatives with kids today and my husband told us one of the hens had sadly died. About an hour later, I was watering in the greenhouse when I heard a tapping sound from one of the small metal flowerpots stored just outside the shed. I turned it over, and there was our hen who had been missing, presumed dead! We can only presume that it had somehow fallen on top of her. She is extremely weak - can stand up for a few seconds and then flops down. She has no visible injuries but her wings droop down sometimes, as does her neck occasionally (usually it’s fine). We have fed her some chick crumb and dipped her beak in water which she has drunk a little of. She has pooped Twice since then. We think she probably got some rainwater in under the pot on Friday as it was v wet here and water trickled under. We have separated her for now from the rest of the flock and put her to bed in a box in the house with some food and water available. Is there anything else we need to do? We don’t have any vitamins at the moment and won’t be able to get them tomorrow. She’s also quite grubby from being so squashed in with her own poo, so Wondering if she survives, should we try to wash her or should we leave her to preen? Any advice gratefully received! She’s one of our much-prized barnevelders. Thanks so much

Once she has started to recover a bath won't hurt. It might even make her feel better. Show people bathe their chickens all the time. Just make sure she doesn't get chilled.

Back
Top Bottom