1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

11 week old rooster crows all the time, is it normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeetleChick, Jun 27, 2011.

1. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Our 11 week old black cochin bantam rooster crows all day and whenever he feels like it at night. Luckily, we live on 10 acres in rural nc, so the neighbors can't hear him. My brother is threatening to roast the bird. Is the rooster just proud of his accomplishment and that's why he's crowing all the time or is he just a vocal bird?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I don't think it indicates that anything is wrong with him. He's probably very proud of himself. [​IMG]

I have a rooster about the same age right now, and he does crow at least a dozen times a day. You'll probably know more how vocal your rooster is once he is more mature.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some dogs are barkers, some aren't. Some roosters crow a lot; some not so much. Right now your little cockerel is probably 'experimenting' with his vocalizations, but he may just be a talker...lol [​IMG]

4. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    My friend has a rooster that always crows at 3 am! He is cage free also, and they sleep with their windows open. They say he comes right to their window to crow! [​IMG]

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW, I'm not into roasting my pets...but if he came to my window at that hour, Id be tempted. [​IMG]

6. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Roo likes to crow at 4:30am, I hear him on the way to my car to go to work. He loves to sit outside on his roost during the day and crow.

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    * feel so lucky*

[​IMG]

8. phoenix2011

phoenix2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Salem
    This makes me laugh, because I went through about 17 roosters when I started my first flock of RI Reds. We bought 30 chicks - 17 were males. Most of them ended up in the pot, for reasons varying from aggression issues to #1 issue - crowing! I am all for my morning wake up call but when they crow at the moon, or every 30 seconds for hours on end I am not appreciative! My final choice for my Red Roo I named Spartacus - and he was as perfect a rooster as you could ask for. Took perfect care of his girls, and never crowed before 6AM! If I could have cloned him I would! [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have some that crow during the day and some that start at 4:30 am. I have some that don't crow much at all. They are all different and I can tell by the crow who is crowing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    We have 3 bantam Cockerals, 2 old English game and one golden sebright all 12 1/2 weeks. One of the little bantams cannot walk 2 feet without crowing. The others crow, but nothing like the one little guy. Fortunately our windows are closed and we are just far enough away we only hear a little crow overtime. Believe it or not that little rooster is my husbands absolute favorite, he laughs every time that little guy crows.[​IMG] now our light brahmas quiet as church mice so far and one RIR 12 1/2 weeks who peeps a very distinct deeper crow occasionally. We love it (10 acres, can hear neighbors rooster crow barely in the distance, so not bothering anyone we hope).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by