11 yr old hen with balance problems

ClucksAndCombs

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
New England
Hello,
so, I have a lovely 11 year old SLW who is one of the healthiest little hens out there. Never has had the slightest illness or a speck of bumble foot. I’ve gotten a bit close to this old gal, I have to say. Over the years shes slowed down but once or twice a week I find a soft shelled pale beige egg (only non EE in the flock lol). Everyday she climbs up and down my patio stairs to see him and get the tasty sunflower seeds. Always has a lovely red rose comb :)
But today I noticed her stumble and trip as the flock ran out to free range. She tried to balance with her wing but kept on stumbling until I scooped her up. Her fellow hatch mate had a similar fate where she ran out to free range and suddenly convulsed and had a seizure only earlier this year- I was afraid she was going to do the same.
I trimmed her toenails but the balance problems continued. Gave her some water, checked her appetite, bum, crop, breath- nothing She insists on preening but her wings droop to stay balanced. She has also shook her tail a bunch, just a weird observation.
I know she is old, but anything to help her a bit? Just to keep her comfortable, I guess.

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 23
that's a fantastic age for a chicken :clap
You've obviously given her a wonderful life.

I wish I could help with your query, but sadly have no knowledge that might be of use to answer it; you've already got what I think is the most important thing, care and affection, covered :)

Wow, that's old!

I had a pullet with similar symptoms, she couldn't fly, wings drooped, neck twisted, bad eye-beak coordination. She was a fighter so we watched her for a couple days inside, feeding her medicine and anti-biotics. Oh, she also had very bad toe curling, she had bad control of her feet.

Unfortunately, we had to put her down, didn't want her to suffer :(

I hope your beautiful lady is ok!!

It may just be age catching up with her. I would supplement some B vitamins for a while and see if it helps any. She may not be eating as well, or digesting and absorbing as well, so possible cause of balance issues. Just get a human B complex tablet, give her 1/2 a tablet daily ground up and mixed in some moistened feed. It may help, and won't hurt.
I would make sure her crop is functioning normally, and see what droppings look like.
Also looks like she could use a spur trim, the one that's curling looks like it's getting close to the leg.

It may just be age catching up with her. I would supplement some B vitamins for a while and see if it helps any. She may not be eating as well, or digesting and absorbing as well, so possible cause of balance issues. Just get a human B complex tablet, give her 1/2 a tablet daily ground up and mixed in some moistened feed. It may help, and won't hurt.
I would make sure her crop is functioning normally, and see what droppings look like.
Also looks like she could use a spur trim, the one that's curling looks like it's getting close to the leg.
That sounds good- I was also wondering if a bit of aspirin would be okay. I’m giving her 75mg at the moment- she seemed to be taking to that well.

she has a hard time keeping straight (sort of looking like she’s drunk) and it’s really sad to watch. I’ve made sure she has eaten all day and her appetite is fine. Her droppings look normal- like what you said it’s a matter of age and keeping her comfortable.
As the oldest of the flock I know she’s the top hen but the due to the size of the run and surrounded by young hens I’m wondering if I should separate her, per say. She is well respected by the others but I’ve dealt with flock bullying because and it’s resulted in torn combs and waddles.

Do you know if she's started molt this year yet? The drunk sort of walking reinforces my idea of the vitamins. I've had hens on occasion walk like a drunk during molt and a couple of days with B's supplemented fixed it. I've always assumed they weren't eating as well due to being miserable with the molt. So molt could be a contributor, but either way, I would try the B's for sure. Unless you think she is in pain, I personally would not do the aspirin, it has the potential to upset her gut. Probiotics are always a safe addition when any gut upset is suspect.

Do you know if she's started molt this year yet? The drunk sort of walking reinforces my idea of the vitamins. I've had hens on occasion walk like a drunk during molt and a couple of days with B's supplemented fixed it. I've always assumed they weren't eating as well due to being miserable with the molt. So molt could be a contributor, but either way, I would try the B's for sure. Unless you think she is in pain, I personally would not do the aspirin, it has the potential to upset her gut. Probiotics are always a safe addition when any gut upset is suspect.
Will do! That sounds like it could be the case.
she isn’t squawking or anything when she falls so like you said, I’ll stop the aspirin.

I’m also giving the rest of the flock increased probiotic pellets. I always give them plain yogurt in the beginning and end of the day as well but I have slacked on the pellets... oops.

Sorry for the lack of updates.
Today is the first day I’m giving her an increased dose of probiotics, as she always does well an hour or so after. Giving it to her in the early morning and afternoon seems to be working well. During this whole time she has always eaten everything and the most behaved sick chicken I’ve ever had. I’ve checked up on her frequently and babysit her during the free range, where she dustbathes with her friends with no problems. When she’s struggling she just looks at me and I hold her as I give her greens. But I think the increased dose will do her well. She’s still stiff but she’s not stumbling or tripping.
I’m so glad the vitamins are helping, I don’t know what’d I do if I had her constantly struggle as she would have to be dependent and that’s no life for a hen. Hopefully she’ll just be able to enjoy the rest of her days dustbathing and eating sunflower seeds by the bird feeder with little problems.
Pecking order wise, I’ve seen her do the routine pullet peck but haven’t seen her go after the older hens. She is the oldest by far and is quite respected but she might have already dropped a few spots. No peck marks/missing feathers or blood so that’s good.
hopefully I’ll remember to update tomorrow! Thank you!

my chicken isn’t improving. It is clear she is favoring the right as she leans on that side more than the other. Appetite is good, poops are normals. She’s just so stiff and unbalanced I don’t know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom