114 today and we put up a window unit - Chickens wont go in

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
So its currently 114 outside. My girls are panting up a storm and are laying next to the kiddie pool I put in there yesterday. They drink from it but wont go in..bummer. So we put an old window unit on a stand in front of one of their windows. Its nice and cool in the coop but they wont go in even with spinach, their favorite treat. I picked them up and put them in and they ran right back out. Could it be they are scared of the noise or that its now TOO cool inside?

I plan to turn it off at night and just use the fan but during this unbearable Texas heat wave I thought they would enjoy a cool place to go in for a few minutes to cool off. Granted it has only been up for about 5 minutes but I thought I would get some feedback from the experts. The coop is only 6x4 so i would guess its around 75 degrees inside. I closed all the other windows and just the pop door is open. If you think maybe thats too cold I would open some of the other windows.

Thoughts please?

Try turning it off for a while and see their reaction, they are probably just being chicken and are unsure of what to think of it.
D.gif
tongue.gif

Yep, they are afraid of it. Chickens are very wary of anything new, strange, unknowing.
If I went to all that trouble I put them in there and shut the door so they couldn't get out. They will get use to it over time.

Back
Top Bottom