11wk old Rhode Island Red babies

Hteeter2

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
I've seen them once go into their coop on their own... Today I went to check their water, and found them with their mouths hanging open. They have some shade in the run, they have water, and they have an open coop. Why won't they use the coop? They have had an actual coop door for over a week now. When are they going to start using it consistently? For a few weeks I had to carry them out to the run and back to the coop at night until their door was put in. I thought they'd pick up using their coop door by now.

Chickens only use their coop at night
If you have a problem with them not going in at night then you should get them on a routine. Catch them and put them on the coops roost every night or heard them in.

This website may be helpful

https://m.wikihow.com/Train-Chickens-to-Return-to-Their-Coop?amp=1

I get them into the coop every night; they don't get a say in that. The thing is that I know that they are hot, but they aren't using their coop. They have water, shelter, and some shade to keep them comfortable. I'm probably worrying too much.

I get them into the coop every night; they don't get a say in that. The thing is that I know that they are hot, but they aren't using their coop. They have water, shelter, and some shade to keep them comfortable. I'm probably worrying too much.

They don’t use the coop during the day no matter how hot it is outside.
If you’re worried about them dying with the heat then you should add a fan to the run, put ice in their water or mist them with ice cold water

The only reason I've seen my chickens 'hang out' in the coop during the day was during a serious blizzard we had this past winter. I would go out there to check on them and about half would be in the coop by the door, the other half were in the nest boxes beneath the coop, doubled up. I believe they were just trying to get out of the wind.

Mine stay out of the coop when it’s hot. Mine don’t like to be in the coop at all except of course the evening and if the weather is really really bad they will hang in there. It is normal in the heat for chickens to walk around with their mouth open and wings away from their side. It looks really weird at first and worrisome but it is normal. What kind of heat are you talking about? And as far is them going back in the coop at night On their own it just takes a little time and maybe make signal noises when they go in at night and are fed at night. But I noticed my our RIR’s Where are the most stubborn ones about going in and out like I wanted them to. It may just take them a little bit to catch on

The only reason I've seen my chickens 'hang out' in the coop during the day was during a serious blizzard we had this past winter. I would go out there to check on them and about half would be in the coop by the door, the other half were in the nest boxes beneath the coop, doubled up. I believe they were just trying to get out of the wind.

You’re lucky they do that by themselves, when there’s blizzards where we are, the chickens take to the trees and I’m usually out with the step ladder poking them down with a stick :lau

You’re lucky they do that by themselves, when there’s blizzards where we are, the chickens take to the trees and I’m usually out with the step ladder poking them down with a stick :lau

I specifically didn't open the run that morning. I kept them in their run, and in fact only on the concrete portion, which is roofed. Our coop and current run is part of a an old dog run. It essentially has an inner run on concrete and roofed.

Mine stay out of the coop when it’s hot. Mine don’t like to be in the coop at all except of course the evening and if the weather is really really bad they will hang in there. It is normal in the heat for chickens to walk around with their mouth open and wings away from their side. It looks really weird at first and worrisome but it is normal. What kind of heat are you talking about? And as far is them going back in the coop at night On their own it just takes a little time and maybe make signal noises when they go in at night and are fed at night. But I noticed my our RIR’s Where are the most stubborn ones about going in and out like I wanted them to. It may just take them a little bit to catch on

It's like 92 degrees here in Florida... This is my first flock, so I might be just over thinking things.

Mine are out with the mouths open. In the 90 s here. My 10 week olds don’t look happy about it. I’ve never had any troubles with those temps but they do enjoy a cool water misting sometimes but think they’re fine without it. But they do look pitiful

Back
Top Bottom