12 call eggs in the incubater yesterday in NJ!

vlapinta

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Toms River NJ
Hi I just wanted to start this thread to introduce ourselves and keep you updated on our first attempt at incubating call duck eggs. Thank you to everyone who has helped us get started. My name is Vicki, and my 16 year old daughter is Jaime. We have been reading all we can on call ducks, and incubating call duck eggs. We ordered a Genesis Hova Bater with an automatic turner. We first put the incubater on and ran it to make sure everything was in working order and the temperatures were stable. We found a local woman here in NJ that raises many species and rehomes duck, so we took the hour drive and picked up 12 call eggs. We felt it was better than ordering and having them shipped. Less stress and trama for our precious babies. The duck farm was amazing. She has so many species of ducks. Calls, Wood Ducks, Mandarines, and so many more. We really enjoyed seeing all 300 ducks! They all seemed happy. She used to rehome injured animals so she had some exotic geese, and even a peacock!
Saturday we placed the 12 eggs in the turner. We received a message on Sunday that we should immediately take the eggs out of the turner and hand turn instead. We had read that some had horrible hatches with the automatic turner, so out of the turner they came.
Now we are hand turning 3-5 times a day. We will keep you updated

Vicki & Jaime

I will be watching for your updates. I have call duck eggs coming (presale so dont know exactly when yet) and it will be interesting to watch from setting to hatch how your incubation goes.
Thanks for starting this thread.
smile.png

GOOD LUCK!!! I have a couple of Call eggs in but they are from my female and do not even know if they are fertile. I have a male in with her and they should be but we will see!

We just candeled our eggs and 9 out of the 12 are fertile and developing. Three of the eggs were infertile. We are keeping the humidity between 60 and 65%. We are hand turning three times a day and cooling and misting the eggs once a day. We are off to a good start.

Vicki & Jaime.

Tonight we found one egg with a blood ring so now we are down to 8. One we cant see any movement but in 7 we see movement!

Jaime & Vicki

Back
Top Bottom