12 hr feeding not working...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jecombs, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Maybe I started them to young, but I tried the 12 hr on, 12 hrs off feeding method for my cornish x two days ago. They are about 2 weeks old at this point. I tried taking the food away around 8 PM, thinking that they would mostly sleep at night and not notice it was gone. Well, the constant scuffling in the brooder has kept me awake for the past two nights! They seem really freaked out about the lack of food. It was so bad that I got up at 5AM and gave them food last night just so they would calm down so I could go to sleep for a few hours before I had to get up for work.
    What am I doing wrong? Or is this just how it goes normally? They eat like they are starving when I put the feed down in front of them in the morning. Maybe they are just too young to try this? I am worried though because they are gaining weight really fast (which I know is normal) and I don't want them to develop health issues before slaughter.

2. homestead tim

homestead tim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    let them go 3 weeks before you go 12 and 12 . By that time they should be almost out of the bruder

3. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    Sounds to me what you've done wrong is you have them to close to where you sleep...

1 person likes this.
  4. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Yes, they are too close to where I sleep. Hubs was supposed to move them out on the back porch last weekend, but hasn't gotten around to it yet. He promises me that they will be moved tomorrow. I will give them a little more time before I try 12 hr feeding plan again.

5. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    I do 12 hr on and off at 2 weeks they make a bunch of noise for a couple days but they calm down and they def arnt going to starve they just think they are.

6. daviechik

daviechik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Good info, love this community! Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by