12 missing chickens-no sign of struggle

khawks

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
warsaw, virginia
I went to the coop today and cannot find 12 of my chickens. Never have they roamed away from their coop more than sight distance. There is snow on the ground, there is no blood, there is no feathers, no signs of a struggle. I don't get it.

As a result, I'm done, I'm selling my flock and 4 coops. you can PM for details. I raise only silkies and a few cochin bantams

Sounds like someone helped themselves to your birds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking at first. When I went out the first time, it was so bright outside from the snow. I went out around 5 and was able to see a few feathers. I followed the feather trail through the woods and found one chicken, no broken neck, and only one puncture wound on her backside. She died from cold and shock I assume. Then I began to follow the tracks to the other side of the house and traveled for a few miles before I found evidence of some more feathers from another chicken. It was dark at that point. I've decided it was coyotes by comparing footprints. I just don't understand how there is no blood and no feathers everywhere.

Coyotes grab and run. The birds were probably too stunned to react. Coyotes usually eat back at their dens. Occasionally I'll see a coyote trotting down the road with a (neighbor's) chicken in its mouth. Smart that way.... If they don't cause a ruckus when hunting they can go back and get more unsuspecting birds.

Thanks for your reply. I just cant wrap my head around this. TWELVE chickens is a lot! i am thinking the attack was during the day bceause of the one chicken i have left, three of her tail feathers are located a few feet from the coop. i just want to continue tracking, but the snow will be gone 2morrow for sure.

How frustrating. So sorry for your loss
1f622.png

A long time ago when I first started researching how to raise chickens, I read a book that had a page on predators. It gave all of the signs and which predator had been the culprit. There was a line that said "absence of any evidence" and it said the culprit was "man".

Back
Top Bottom