12 month Leghorn passed what looked like strange white string?

jucat60

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2016
Hi I have a chicken that a few days ago passed an egg with really spongy shell/ She did not look well next day started her on AB's. She has become her normal self but last night passed this strange white long ? looks like intestine what could it be? She has not laid an egg since this has happened? She is wormed and treated for lice>

If your chicken has been wormed, and it digests a worm type it can still get worms. Could you post a picture of the white string? It would be helpful to identify it.

Hi I have a chicken that a few days ago passed an egg with really spongy shell/ She did not look well next day started her on AB's. She has become her normal self but last night passed this strange white long ? looks like intestine what could it be? She has not laid an egg since this has happened? She is wormed and treated for lice>
Do you have a photo of what she passed?

If your chicken has been wormed, and it digests a worm type it can still get worms. Could you post a picture of the white string? It would be helpful to identify it.
Hi Rose I am sorry I threw it away. She is normal today scratching and eating has not laid. I have given her some Ivermectin on the back for worms and lice.

I am sorry I threw it away she is good today normal but has not laid

Hi Rose I am sorry I threw it away. She is normal today scratching and eating has not laid. I have given her some Ivermectin on the back for worms and lice.
Glad she is better.
If she passes anything else, if you can get photos that would be good.
It would be speculation on my part, but if she laid a soft/spongy egg the day before, she may have had another coming and what you saw was a deflated egg membrane. It's just hard to know.

Ivermectin if given correctly probably will help if she has roundworms, but from what I understand it is losing some of it's effectiveness against worms. Keep an eye on the poop if you suspect worms it would be better to use Valbazen or Fenbendazole (Safeguard).

For your little Leghorn, watch her for a few days that she is eating/drinking. I'm sure you have oyster shell free choice for your girls, but if she has trouble with a soft egg again, then give her 1/2 calcium tablet (like Caltrate) once a day for up to 2 weeks to see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom