12 month old Salmon Faverolles have never laid

TrailFarm

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
Hello,
I have 2- 12 month old Salmon Faverolles hens that have never laid an egg. They appear healthy and happy. I even placed them in a separate crate for a while to be absolutely sure and no eggs. I live in the Midwest US. So the weather has been shifty. Does anyone have advise for me? I am sure I will keep them just wondering what the odds are of having 2 that do not lay? TIA

Hello,
I have 2- 12 month old Salmon Faverolles hens that have never laid an egg. They appear healthy and happy. I even placed them in a separate crate for a while to be absolutely sure and no eggs. I live in the Midwest US. So the weather has been shifty. Does anyone have advise for me? I am sure I will keep them just wondering what the odds are of having 2 that do not lay? TIA
Are they from Hatchery stock? — I’ve had some reproductive issues with hatchery stock, now I prefer to buy from breeders or from local farm friends if I can…

I have (2) white Silked Easter Eggers that I bought about 3yrs ago from a Hatchery. They are 1/2 Silkie & 1/2 Easter Egger, so they look like Silkies except slightly bigger and they lay gorgeous blue/green eggs!

Wonderful little Chickens; they are!! We named them Pip & Pippa. They are super close with each other, you’ll always see them together around the Coops & Chicken yard. They are definitely Twins, luckily Pip doesn’t have very many feathers on her feet, but Pippa does, so we can tell them apart!
— However, Pip has never laid. Not one egg, even though I know she wishes she could. 🥺
There are times, not very often, I’d say I see her do these 4-5 times a year…Where she will go in with Pippa to watch her lay, then she will sit on Pippa’s egg for a few minutes, then come out of the coop squawking & singing the best Egg song, totally acting like she just laid that beautiful egg in there!
My heart is torn on whether to think that’s adorable & funny or if it’s seriously sad!
I lean towards happy, because Pip is so happy about it… I usually join in and Thank her for her Egg; Pippa never seems to mind one bit!

If they never lay, they could just be Pets as long as they are happy & healthy otherwise. I’d Keep in mind that they could have something major go wrong down the line however, perhaps cancer within the reproductive system, etc… It’s so hard to know, unless you want to spend money to find out through testing & imaging. However, our Pip is 3yrs now and seems to be okay so far… Regardless, I never let it go inside my mind that something’s not right in her reproductive system or with hormones, etc. — I love her to pieces, but I also try to brace myself with knowing that she might not live as long as other chickens would.

I hope sharing some of my thoughts, feelings and my story helps you out a little bit; I’d love to hear how things work out with you guys! — Good luck!! 🍀👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom