12 Week Ducks Laying Eggs? Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by randomchick, Jul 18, 2010.

1. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    I went to the duck yard this evening to check on things when I noticed an egg laying right in the middle of their walking path. My ducks and geese are only 12 weeks old, it is possible someone layed this? Or am I the victim of a practical joke?

Anyone else have a duck or goose aly this early. I think it is duck, but it could be a csmall goose egg I suppose.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I don't know anything about water birds, but there are alot of people that do..... Anybody?

3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    At 12 weeks? No way....you got prank'd [​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had a duck lay at 14 weeks old last year- but only 3 eggs in two weeks and very small- then nothing for a further two weeks when I sold her. It would be very unlikely a 12 week old would lay.... But I have heard of stranger things. Do you have a net or wire over the top of your pen?? If not it could have been some kind of "visiting" bird who left an egg there.

5. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I dont think its possible, but remember most of the time the first egg layed is very small on average... if that egg is a normal sized duck egg I'd say yes prank [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by