12 week old girls still have no color in combs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by debryman, May 7, 2011.

1. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    Actually, they barely have any combs to speak off. The white leghorns have the most but only about a quarter of an inch at the tallest. I have 2 of each of the following: BO, BA, BR, RIR & White Leghorn. They all are still pink rather than getting red on their combs. They do have a bit of red on their faces and little slivers of waddles are darker too. Is this normal? Should I be feeding them something I'm not? Their feed is 18% grow feed and they range around the yard for several hours daily (but not much green here in the desert) and I also give them greens everyday. Any help, advice or just reassurance that they are fine would be greatly appreciated!

2. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    I have one Silver Sebright that is a year old and she still has a VERY small purplish comb and one Black Star hen that has a very pale comb. She is also a year old. I don't think it is a big deal. They all lay great and are very healthy. [​IMG]

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My girls were born early February--they have not developed the red coloring either. Seems weird to me. Year old hen has a very bright red comb etc and is laying like crazy (EE). Nice to know they are developing just fine.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have some from my NYD hatch that still haven't developed combs... Others are large and red but they haven't stopped laying.

5. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Sounds like you are giving them everything they need. Some just don't get the real red red like others. You mentioned that you are in the desert and that may have something to do with it, but I doubt it is a very big deal. As long as they are healthy, laying at the right times, and acting normally, you shouldn't worry. Always watch for abnormal behavior (not seeming completely "with it," not moving as much, eating less, not laying if they had been laying, but not being broody either) but if they are acting okay, it isn't a big deal.

Edited to say: Also, mine didn't get RED combs until they finally started laying around 6 months old, until then, they were just pinkish. And with some of my barnyard mutts, they have hardly any combs to this day and they have been laying for 6 months.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    Thanks y'all - this new chicken owner needs all the help/reassurance she can get [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by