12 week old OE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rarely bored, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    This bird came out of a BHep egg, the egg was an olive color. At first I thought it was a pullet because it didn't exhibit any roo features, but now I'm not to sure. I'm seeing the pretty metallic green sheen in the wing area and it is acting a little roo-ish.
    Here is the picture, the black one, not the silkie cross... that one is fairly obvious [​IMG]:
    [​IMG]
    Sigh, it is a rooster isn't it??

it may only be 11 weeks... new year's day hatch.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Hmmm... I am no where near an expert on this.... I kind of lean towards pullet but before you get excited, listen to my non-scientific reasons...

Neck stretch looks roo'ish
    Tail feathers look hen'ish
    Possibly incoming saddle feathers could be roo'ish
    Buttfluff (the fluffy feathers below tail) say hen'ish

and last but not least the famous phrase of in order to achieve you must believe...It is a hen...It is a hen..believe it...see it... lol

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Here's your easy answer: Pick her up (I'm an optimist at heart) and about an inch from the top of the tail appendage, lift the feathers and look for saddle feathers. You'll see something coming in...if it's super shiny and pointy, it's not a girl.

4. rarely bored

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    neck stretch, agree
    tail feathers, yea, but how good of a picture is it?
    saddle feathers, agree
    buttfluff, yippee, hope the butt fluff is right!

I'd have an easier time believing it was a hen if it didn't do a sneak attack the other day and peck me in the calf... although I've met onery hens before.
    sounds great! Will check HER tomorrow morning.

Thank you, both of you!!

5. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    The hens are BCM x Black Ams. The rooster is a Black Molted Java. My hens are very black with the iridescent sheen also.
    I don't see any hackle or saddle feathers....but it is hard to see in the picture.
    Butt does look fluffy. She cold just be standing like that wondering why you are pointing a camera at her. [​IMG]

I will say hen for now...until she crows. [​IMG]

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm saying girl until I see anything else that makes me lean more towards roo. The stance is the only thing that bothers me. My black girls always had a sheen. :/

7. rarely bored

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    There are no super shiny feathers coming in by her butt... or anywhere in that region!!! [​IMG]

I'll be getting pretty colored eggs!!! Will I?? [​IMG]

Thank you!! Now to go find out what a BCM is...

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    bcm = black copper marans

can you get any closer pics full body shot and comb? i'm leanign towards pullet

9. rarely bored

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Thanks! I did some looking up the java's and the bcm's and I'm strongly thinking pullet. Her comb is still small with not much red. She just has a more dominant personality than most of my other hens... which isn't all bad, just a surprise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by